MS in Applied Behavior Analysis, Online/Washington D.C. Weekend Residency Option
About 3.5 million Americans live with an autism spectrum disorder. This is creating a high demand for professionals who understand behavior and learning. With an MS in Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) from Drexel, you’ll build the skills to help others improve their lives by adopting positive behaviors.
The interactive format of this program blends face-to-face weekend residencies at the Drexel DC Center with online classes. It is perfect for the working professional located in or near Drexel’s Washington, D.C. Center. Completion of the program will satisfy the course requirements needed to be eligible to sit for the Board-Certified Behavior Analyst Examination® (BCBA) exam.
What is a Master's in Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA)?
Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) is the application of the science of learning and behavior. The methods of ABA help many kinds of learners, such as those on the Autism spectrum, decrease harmful behaviors in favor of more useful ones. This can take the form of increased language and communication skills, social interactions, healthy life choices, and attention span.
Drexel’s Master of Science in Applied Behavior Analysis focuses on providing evidence-based ABA principles, practices, and behavioral assessment tools in a Behavior Analyst Certification Board® (BACB)-approved curriculum. Through an in-depth exploration of how behavior works, you will also learn practical ways to apply these methods to solve social, behavioral and learning problems.
Some of the key areas you’ll study in Drexel's program include functional analysis and consultation. Using these ABA methods, you will better understand how to help care for and teach learners of varying skill levels and at different stages in their lifespan.
As such, the program is ideal for special education teachers, school psychologists, social workers, and case managers. Yet it also meets the needs of other professionals outside these fields who want to pursue an ABA-focused career.
Program Features and Benefits
- The blended online Master’s in Applied Behavior Analysis program features a Behavior Analyst Certification Board®-approved set of courses.
- You will have access to the latest research from the A.J. Drexel Autism Institute, which boasts renowned staff who are widely-published and respected in the field
- The MS in ABA highlights Drexel’s signature focus on collaboration and experience. Students enrolled in the Online/Washington, D.C. Weekend Residency program take courses online and also meet face-to-face two weekends per quarter at the Drexel DC Center. This format offers the convenience of taking courses online with the opportunity to meet professors and classmates in person and practice key skills.
- You’ll have the opportunity to be mentored by our faculty and partner with them on research projects.
Master's in ABA Concentrations
Tailor your Master's in ABA through one of these concentrations:
Autism Spectrum Disorders
Students will take courses designed to impart the fundamental skills, knowledge, teaching methods, and interventions needed to support individuals on the Autism spectrum in school and community-based settings.
Social, Emotional and Behavioral Wellness
Students will take courses focused on how to identify and address social, emotional, and behavioral barriers to learning as well as how to develop best practices for building collaborative partnerships with families, patients, and the larger educational community using evidence-based strategies.
BACB Verified Online MS in ABA
|Drexel’s MS in ABA is meets the stringent standards of the Behavior Analyst Certification Board, Inc.® (BACB). The BACB has verified Drexel’s course sequence as meeting the coursework requirements for eligibility to take the Board-Certified Behavior Analyst Examination®.|
Online Open House
Join us on Tuesday, July 23rd from 2 - 3 p.m. ET to learn more about the School of Education's online programs and have your questions answered by a Drexel representative. Register Today!
- Dual Master's Degree in Applied Behavioral Analysis and Special Education
- MS in Applied Behavior Analysis
- Graduate Certificate in Applied Behavior Analysis
- Graduate Certificate in Autism Spectrum Disorders
This program is organized into four 10-week quarters per year (as opposed to the traditional two semester system) which means you can take more courses in a shorter time period. One semester credit is equivalent to 1.5 quarter credits.
|The Behavior Analyst Certification Board, Inc.® has approved the MS in Applied Behavior Analysis course sequence as meeting the coursework requirements for eligibility to take the Board Certified Behavior Analyst Examination®.
You must meet additional requirements to qualify.
|Core Applied Behavior Analysis Courses|
|EDEX 630||Fundamental Elements of Behavior Change||4.5|
|EDEX 631||Measurement and Experimental Design||4.5|
|EDEX 632||Behavioral Assessment and Functional Analysis||4.5|
|EDEX 633||Behavioral Interventions||4.5|
|EDEX 634||Consultation, Systems Change and Supervision||4.5|
|EDEX 635||Ethical Considerations and Professional Conduct||4.5|
|Select one of the following:||12.0|
|Option 1: Autism Spectrum Disorders Concentration|
|Characteristics & Methods: Autism|
|Characteristics & Methods: High Functioning Autism|
|Communication & Language Interventions: Autism Spectrum Disorders|
|Behavior & Sensory Support: Autism Spectrum Disorders|
|Option 2: Social, Emotional, and Behavioral Wellness|
|Social Emotional Wellness and Preventative Practices|
|Understanding Social Emotional Disorders|
|Evidence-Based School Interventions and Trauma Informed Education/Care|
|Collaboration and Community Based Practices to Promote Social Emotional Wellness|
|Select from one of the following capstone tracks:|
|EDUL 780||Lesson Study Capstone Course I|
|EDUL 781||Lesson Study Capstone Course II|
|EDUT 780||Thesis Capstone Course I|
|EDUT 781||Thesis Capstone Course II|
|EDUP 780||Practitioner Capstone Course I|
|EDUP 781||Practitioner Capstone Course II|
- A bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution
- Undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher (graduate GPA will be considered along with the undergraduate GPA)
- If you do not meet this requirement, you’re still encouraged to apply and your file will be reviewed on an individual basis by the Program Director
With multiple ways to submit documents, Drexel makes it easy to complete your application. Learn more by visiting our Completing Your Application Guide.
- A completed application
- Official transcripts from all universities or colleges and other post-secondary educational institutions (including trade schools) attended
- Two professional letters of recommendation
- Personal essay addressing the following:
- Why you’re interested in this field
- Why you’re interested in attending the program at Drexel University
- Your career goals and how Drexel’s program will help you achieve them
- How this program relates to your previous education and/or work experience
- Additional requirements for International Students
The tuition rate for the academic year 2019-2020 is $978 per credit. (A 25% tuition savings off Drexel's regular tuition rate of $1303 per credit)
- This program is eligible for Financial Aid.
- Special tuition rates available for Drexel University Alumni, Military members, and members of our Partner Organizations
- These rates apply only to new online students and students being readmitted.
- Tuition rates are subject to increase with the start of each academic year in the fall term.
- All students must contact applyDUonline@drexel.edu within the first two weeks of the term to request tuition savings for which they qualify.
- Special rates cannot be combined. If you qualify for more than one special rate, you'll be given the one with the largest savings.
- When receiving special tuition plans with Drexel University Online, you may not combine them with other tuition benefits that may be available from Drexel University.
2019-2020 Academic Year
September 23, 2019
December 7, 2019
December 9, 2019
December 14, 2019
January 6, 2020
March 16, 2020
March 17, 2020
March 21, 2020
March 30, 2020
June 8, 2020
June 9, 2020
June 13, 2020
June 22, 2020
August 30, 2020
September 2, 2020
September 5, 2020