Master of Laboratory Animal Science
The online Master of Laboratory Animal Science graduate program is designed for those currently working within the field of laboratory animal science who are seeking to take their career to the next level. Combining effective training in basic science with extensive laboratory animal science curriculum, this program builds a solid foundation in all aspects of laboratory animal science and animal facility management.
Graduates of the program hold positions in laboratory animal facilities of universities, biotechnology companies, government agencies, and pharmaceutical companies, where they serve as veterinarians, supervisors, managers, IACUC administrators, trainers, educators, consultants, and sales representatives.
During the program, we ask that you have a consulting mentor (lab animal veterinarian or authorized representative) at your current workplace that is available to help you should you need it throughout the curriculum.
- Drexel is one of the only universities offering a Master of Laboratory Animal Science online
- Part-time, three-year program, allowing flexibility for busy professionals
- No on-campus requirements
- Environmental Enrichment for Laboratory Research Animals
- Master of Laboratory Animal Science Online Open House
- Why Does It Hurt? Understanding Pain and the Technician's Role in Pain Management
For questions, contact:
Program Director, Master of Laboratory Animal Science (MLAS)
|MLAS 501S||Laboratory Animal Seminar||2.0|
|MLAS 510S||Clinical Orientation In Laboratory Animal Facilities||1.0|
|MLAS 520S||Financial Mgmt In Lab Anim Sci||3.0|
|MLAS 521S||Arch Eng & Plan For Anim Fac||4.0|
|MLAS 523S||Organizational Management||3.0|
|MLAS 525S||Animal Anatomy||2.0|
|MLAS 530S||Biostats In Vet Science||3.0|
|MLAS 535S||Biology & Care Of Lab Animals||4.0|
|MLAS 536S||Animal Models for Biomedical Research||1.0|
|MLAS 606S||Clinical Laboratory Techniques and Concepts||1.0|
|MLAS 610S||Diseases of Laboratory Animals||3.0|
|MLAS 801S||Laboratory Animal Practicum||12.0|
|MSPA 580S||Medical Microbiology I||4.0|
|Select a minimum of 6.0 credits:||6.0|
|Molecular Biology & Biochemistry of the Cell|
|Occupational Safety and Health in Laboratory Animal Care and Use Programs|
|The Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee’s (IACUC) Role in Animal Research|
|Fundamentals of Histology|
|Concepts in Biochemistry and Cell Biology|
- Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher is preferred
- Those with a lower GPA are encouraged to apply, but should ensure that relevant professional experience is included on their resume for evaluation
- Current employment in a laboratory animal facility, with a minimum of two years hands-on experience
With multiple ways to submit documents, Drexel makes it easy to complete your application. Learn more by visiting our Completing Your Application Guide.
- A completed application
- Official transcripts from all universities or colleges and other post-secondary educational institutions (including trade schools) attended
- Two professional
letters of recommendation preferred. Examples of eligible recommenders include:
- Current or previous workplace supervisor
- Previous science professors
- Personal statement describing your academic and professional laboratory animal science goals
- Additional requirements for International Students
- General GRE
scores, at or above the 50th percentile in all areas, obtained within the last
- Those without GRE scores are encouraged to apply, but should ensure that relevant professional/ academic experience is included for evaluation
The tuition rate for the academic year 2017-2018 is $1349 per credit.
- This program is eligible for Financial Aid.
- Special tuition rates available for Drexel University Alumni, Military members, and members of our Partner Organizations.
- These rates apply only to new online students and students being readmitted.
- All students must contact applyDUonline@drexel.edu within the first two weeks of the term to request tuition savings for which they qualify.
- Special rates cannot be combined. If you qualify for more than one special rate, you'll be given the one with the largest savings.
- When receiving special tuition plans with Drexel University Online, you may not combine them with other tuition benefits that may be available from Drexel University.
2017-2018 Academic Year
August 7, 2017
December 8, 2017
January 8, 2018
May 4, 2018
May 14, 2018
July 27, 2018