Masters in Sport Coaching Leadership Degree
Turn your passion for the game into a career
For most athletes, the joy and accomplishment of competition ends when the play clock is up. Drexel's online MS in Sport Coaching Leadership program allows you to continue with the sport you love, working with fellow athletes as you develop your career and theirs.
The program is offered by Drexel's full-time faculty and prepares coaches to meet challenges both on and off the field.
- Budgeting and fiscal management
- Coaching theory
- NCAA compliance
- Performance and energy systems
- Prevention and care of athletic injuries
- Program development
- Recruitment strategies
- Sport psychology
- A 7-10 day international residency
- Customizable course deliverables for level and sport(s) of interest
- Concentrations available in lacrosse and rowing, or create a custom-designed concentration
- Fully online program allows you to earn a Drexel degree on your schedule
Optional Sport-Specific Concentrations
You may choose a sport-specific concentration in lacrosse or rowing. A custom-designed concentration is also available if you're interested in other sports.
Online Open House
Join us on Wednesday, July 11th from 3 – 5 p.m. EST as Drexel University Online, in conjunction with the School of Education, presents an informative and convenient way for you to learn more about the online education programs at Drexel University. You’ll have the opportunity to explore program components and delve into online learning at Drexel followed by a Q&A session with a program manager. This is a great opportunity for you to find out why Drexel’s program is the right choice for you.
Interested in applying as a non-matriculated student? Select “Graduate Education Non-Matriculated” as your program of interest on the online application. Official transcripts and a resume are required. Non-matriculated students are not eligible for financial aid.
This program is organized into four 10-week quarters per year (as opposed to the traditional two semester system) which means you can take more courses in a shorter time period. One semester credit is equivalent to 1.5 quarter credits.
|Required Core Courses|
|PHIL 502||Ethics in Coaching||3.0|
|SCL 501||Coaching Theory and Principles||3.0|
|SCL 503||Pedagogical Strategies in Coaching||3.0|
|SCL 504||Coaching Psychology||3.0|
|SCL 614||Sport Performance & Energy Systems||3.0|
|SCL 615||Athletic Recruiting||3.0|
|SCL 619||Global Coaching Seminar||6.0|
|SCL 695||Coaching Practicum I||0.5|
|SCL 696||Coaching Practicum II||0.5|
|SCL 697||Coaching Practicum III||2.0|
|SMT 607||Sport Budgets & Fiscal Practices||3.0|
|SMT 629||Managing Coaches & Teams||3.0|
|Select one of the following Concentrations, or create your own:||12.0|
|SCL 620||Biomechanics in Rowing|
|SCL 621||Physiology and Training Methods for Rowing|
|SCL 622||Emerging Technologies and Trends in Rowing|
|SCL 623||Equipment Management and Rigging for High Performance|
|SCL 624||Rowing Safety and Risk Management|
|SCL 625||Racing: Rules, Preparation, and Strategy|
|SCL 630||History of Lacrosse|
|SCL 631||Physiology and Training Methods in Lacrosse|
|SCL 632||Emerging Technologies and Trends in Lacrosse|
|SCL 633||Equipment and Field Management in Lacrosse|
|SCL 634||Lacrosse Safety and Risk Management|
|SCL 635||The Women's Lacrosse Game: Rules, Preparation, and Strategy|
|or SCL 636||The Men's Lacrosse Game: Rules, Preparation, and Strategy|
- A bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution
- Undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Provisional admission may be granted if your GPA is below 3.0
- An admissions interview is required for a GPA below 2.75
With multiple ways to submit documents, Drexel makes it easy to complete your application. Learn more by visiting our Completing Your Application Guide.
- A completed application
- Official transcripts from all universities or colleges and other post-secondary educational institutions (including trade schools) attended
- Two letters of recommendation
- Personal Essay addressing the following:
- Why you feel drawn to a career in coaching
- Your career goals
- How Drexel's program will help you achieve these goals
- Additional requirements for International Students
A telephone interview is required as part of the admissions process.
The tuition rate for the academic year 2018-2019 is $949 per credit. (A 25% tuition savings off Drexel's regular tuition rate of $1265 per credit)
- This program is eligible for Financial Aid.
- Special tuition rates available for Drexel University Alumni, Military members, and members of our Partner Organizations.
- These rates apply only to new online students and students being readmitted.
- Tuition rates are subject to increase with the start of each academic year in the fall term.
- All students must contact applyDUonline@drexel.edu within the first two weeks of the term to request tuition savings for which they qualify.
- Special rates cannot be combined. If you qualify for more than one special rate, you'll be given the one with the largest savings.
- When receiving special tuition plans with Drexel University Online, you may not combine them with other tuition benefits that may be available from Drexel University.
Sport Coaching Webinars
The following are previously recorded webinars conducted by Drexel on important topics related to coaching:
2017-2018 Academic Year
September 25, 2017
December 9, 2017
December 11, 2017
December 16, 2017
January 8, 2018
March 17, 2018
March 19, 2018
March 24, 2018
April 2, 2018
June 9, 2018
June 11, 2018
June 15, 2018
June 25, 2018
September 1, 2018
September 4, 2018
September 8, 2018
2018-2019 Academic Year
September 24, 2018
December 8, 2018
December 10, 2018
December 15, 2018
January 7, 2019
March 16, 2019
March 18, 2019
March 23, 2019
April 1, 2019
June 8, 2019
June 10, 2019
June 14, 2019
June 24, 2019
August 31, 2019
September 3, 2019
September 7, 2019