Special Education Certification Program
The accredited online Special Education Certification program seeks to produce professionals equipped with the fundamental skills, knowledge, and competencies needed to meet the needs of students at risk for school failure and students with disabilities in multiple settings.
Choose one when submitting your application:
Special Education PreK-8
Focuses on prekindergarten to middle school levels and is for those interested in Special Education PreK-8 certification
Special Education 7-12
Focuses on secondary education and is for those interested in Special Education 7-12 certification
Candidates seeking Pennsylvania Special Education PreK-8 or 7-12 certification must have an active PA Instructional I or Instructional II teaching certificate in a corresponding area. Out-of-state teachers may also earn their PA Special Education PreK-8 or 7-12 certification if they transfer their current teacher certification to PA.
- A flexible, completely online program that fits easily into your busy work and personal schedule. The only face-to-face requirements are the various field experiences that are conveniently arranged in an appropriate school in your area.
- Named one of “America’s Best Graduate Schools” preparing today’s educators by U.S. News & World Report
- Approved by the Pennsylvania Department of Education
- A highly interactive online learning method allows extensive interaction with faculty and other classmates
State restrictions may apply to some programs. Learn more.
This program is organized into four 10-week quarters per year (as opposed to the traditional two semester system) which means you can take more courses in a shorter time period. One semester credit is equivalent to 1.5 quarter credits.
Pre-requisites for Certification in Special Education (PreK-8)
You must have completed the following courses in order to apply for a Pennsylvania Special Education PreK-8 certification. If you have not completed the following three courses, they should be taken to apply for special education certification:
|EDEX 542||Fundamentals of Special Education||3.0|
|EDEX 544||The Inclusive Classroom||3.0|
|EDEX 546||Literacy and Content Skill Development PreK-8||3.0|
|Core Certification Courses|
|EDEX 537||Special Education Law and Processes PreK-8||3.0|
|EDEX 543||Emotional and Behavioral Support of Individuals with Disabilities||3.0|
|EDEX 545||Teaching STEAM in an Inclusive Pre-K to 8 Environment||3.0|
|EDEX 549||Teaching Individuals with High Incident Disabilities||3.0|
|EDEX 550||Teaching Individuals with Low Incident Disabilities||3.0|
|EDEX 552||Integrating Technology for Learning & Achievement||3.0|
|EDEX 555||Teaching Students with Autism Spectrum Disorder||3.0|
|EDEX 576||Special Education Practicum PreK-8||3.0|
A field component is required in most courses.
- A bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution
- Undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher (graduate GPA will be considered along with the undergraduate GPA)
- If you do not meet this requirement, you’re still encouraged to apply and your file will be reviewed on an individual basis by the Program Director
- A Pennsylvania Instructional I or Instructional II teaching certificate
With multiple ways to submit documents, Drexel makes it easy to complete your application. Learn more by visiting our Completing Your Application Guide.
- A completed application
- Official transcripts from all universities or colleges and other post-secondary educational institutions (including trade schools) attended
- Two letters of recommendation (professional or academic)
- An essay describing why you're interested in pursuing graduate study in this field
- Copy of PA Instructional I or Instructional II teaching certificate
- Additional requirements for International Students
The tuition rate for the academic year 2018-2019 is $949 per credit. (A 25% tuition savings off Drexel's regular tuition rate of $1265 per credit)
- This program is eligible for Financial Aid.
- Special tuition rates available for Drexel University Alumni, Military members, and members of our Partner Organizations
- These rates apply only to new online students and students being readmitted.
- Tuition rates are subject to increase with the start of each academic year in the fall term.
- All students must contact applyDUonline@drexel.edu within the first two weeks of the term to request tuition savings for which they qualify.
- Special rates cannot be combined. If you qualify for more than one special rate, you'll be given the one with the largest savings.
- When receiving special tuition plans with Drexel University Online, you may not combine them with other tuition benefits that may be available from Drexel University.
2018-2019 Academic Year
September 24, 2018
December 8, 2018
December 10, 2018
December 15, 2018
January 7, 2019
March 16, 2019
March 18, 2019
March 23, 2019
April 1, 2019
June 8, 2019
June 10, 2019
June 15, 2019
June 24, 2019
August 31, 2019
September 3, 2019
September 7, 2019