MS in Software Engineering
Develop Your Network with Drexel’s Online MS in Software Engineering
The College of Computing & Informatics at Drexel University has addressed the growing importance of software in modern society and the subsequent demand for prepared practitioners. The result? A fully online, industry-relevant MS in Software Engineering program.
The program provides a foundational knowledge of key software engineering topics such as software design and architecture, engineering management, and systems analytics. Regardless of your career goals, Drexel’s online MS in Software Engineering program allows for an interdisciplinary, customized approach to mastering and ultimately advancing within the software industry.
Drexel University is ranked 15th for best online graduate computer information technology programs in 2019 by U.S. News and World Report.
Learn more about the 4 fastest growing jobs in the field.
- Shaped by the renowned College of Computing & Informatics, the curriculum encompasses behavioral, managerial, and technical aspects of software engineering
- Faculty members are doctorally prepared educators and accomplished professionals in the software engineering field
- The MS in software engineering program is recommended, but not limited to, professionals working in the software engineering field who are interested in technical and managerial software work across a wide range of application domains
- Choose electives based on your individual interests and career goals
- The online format lets you learn on your own schedule, while still providing ample opportunities to connect with professors and classmates
Online Open House
Join us on Wednesday, March 11th from 12 - 1 p.m. ET to learn more about our Computer Science & Software Engineering programs and have your questions answered by a Drexel representative. Register Today!
The Difference Between Computer Science and Software Engineering
Though both computer science and software engineering programs cover many of the same skills, there are a few key differences that you should be aware of. Are you looking for a program that focuses more on the theoretical and practical areas of computer science, or are you more interested in the design, development and testing of software systems? The skills you’re looking to learn will determine which program is the best fit for you. Learn more about computer science vs software engineering degrees.
This program is organized into four 10-week quarters per year (as opposed to the traditional two semester system) which means you can take more courses in a shorter time period. One semester credit is equivalent to 1.5 quarter credits.
You may transfer up to 9 approved credits (3 courses) into the program.
|SE 575||Software Design||3.0|
|SE 576||Software Reliability and Testing||3.0|
|SE 577||Software Architecture||3.0|
|SE 578||Security Engineering||3.0|
|SE 627||Requirements Engineering and Management||3.0|
|SE 630||Software Engineering Economics||3.0|
|SE 636||Software Engineering Process||3.0|
|Choose 12 credits from the following:|
|Fundamentals of Databases|
|Developing User Interfaces|
|Distributed Systems Software|
|Open Source Software Engineering|
|Web Services and Mobile Architectures|
|Software Project Management|
|Depth and Software Studio Courses||12.0|
|At least 12 total credits, including at least 6 and up to 9 Software Studio credits, are required|
Choose 1 or 2 of the following to fulfill the depth requirement:
Any graduate CS course not required for the core or counted as a breadth course
|Fundamentals Of Computer Hardware|
|Performance Analysis of Computer Networks|
|Web Security I|
|Web Security II|
|Web Security III|
|Principles of Cybersecurity|
|Introduction to Geographic Information Systems|
|Database Management Systems|
|Advanced Database Management|
|Applied Database Technologies|
|Analysis of Interactive Systems|
|Design of Interactive Systems|
Complete 2 or 3 software studio courses:
- A four-year bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution in the United States or an equivalent international institution.
- Those without a prior degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or Math (plus programming) may have to take additional prerequisites before pursuing advanced computer science courses.
- A minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 for the last two years of undergraduate work
- If any graduate work has been completed, the average GPA must be at least 3.0
With multiple ways to submit documents, Drexel makes it easy to complete your application. Learn more by visiting our Completing Your Application Guide.
- A completed application
- Scores from the General Aptitude Test of the GRE
- Scores in the 50th percentile or above in all three sections are sought
- Not required if your cumulative GPA is a 3.0 or above
- Official transcripts from all universities or colleges and other post-secondary educational institutions (including trade schools) attended
- Two professional letters of recommendation
- A 500 word essay on why you wish to pursue the program
- Additional requirements for International Students
The tuition rate for the academic year 2019-2020 is $1303 per credit.
- This program is eligible for Financial Aid.
- Special tuition rates available for Drexel University Alumni, Military members, and members of our Partner Organizations
- These rates apply only to new online students and students being readmitted.
- These rates apply only to fully online courses. Hybrid or on-campus courses may have different rates.
- Tuition rates are subject to increase with the start of each academic year in the fall term.
- All students must contact applyDUonline@drexel.edu within the first two weeks of the term to request tuition savings for which they qualify.
- Special rates cannot be combined. If you qualify for more than one special rate, you'll be given the one with the largest savings.
- When receiving special tuition plans with Drexel University Online, you may not combine them with other tuition benefits that may be available from Drexel University.
2019-2020 Academic Year
September 23, 2019
December 7, 2019
December 9, 2019
December 14, 2019
January 6, 2020
March 16, 2020
March 17, 2020
March 21, 2020
March 30, 2020
June 8, 2020
June 9, 2020
June 13, 2020
June 22, 2020
August 30, 2020
September 2, 2020
September 5, 2020