MS in Software Engineering
Develop Your Network with Drexel’s Online MS in Software Engineering
The College of Computing & Informatics at Drexel University has addressed the growing importance of software in modern society and the subsequent demand for prepared practitioners. The result? A fully online, industry-relevant MS in Software Engineering program.
The program provides a foundational knowledge of key software engineering topics such as software design and architecture, engineering management, and systems analytics. Regardless of your career goals, Drexel’s online MS in Software Engineering program allows for an interdisciplinary, customized approach to mastering and ultimately advancing within the software industry.
Drexel University is ranked 10th for best online graduate computer information technology programs in 2018 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Shaped by the renowned College of Computing & Informatics, the curriculum encompasses behavioral, managerial, and technical aspects of software engineering
- Faculty members are doctorally prepared educators and accomplished professionals in the software engineering field
- The MS in software engineering program is recommended, but not limited to, professionals working in the software engineering field who are interested in technical and managerial software work across a wide range of application domains
- Choose electives based on your individual interests and career goals
- The online format lets you learn on your own schedule, while still providing ample opportunities to connect with professors and classmates
The Difference Between Computer Science and Software Engineering
Though both computer science and software engineering programs cover many of the same skills, there are a few key differences that you should be aware of. Are you looking for a program that focuses more on the theoretical and practical areas of computer science, or are you more interested in the design, development and testing of software systems? The skills you’re looking to learn will determine which program is the best fit for you. Learn more about computer science vs software engineering degrees.
This program is organized into four 10-week quarters per year (as opposed to the traditional two semester system) which means you can take more courses in a shorter time period. One semester credit is equivalent to 1.5 quarter credits.
|SE 575||Software Design||3.0|
|SE 576||Software Reliability and Testing||3.0|
|SE 577||Software Architecture||3.0|
|SE 578||Security Engineering||3.0|
|SE 627||Requirements Engineering and Management||3.0|
|SE 630||Software Engineering Economics||3.0|
|SE 636||Software Engineering Process||3.0|
|Choose 12 credits:|
|CS 500||Fundamentals of Databases|
|CS 530||Developing User Interfaces|
|CS 645||Network Security|
|CS 647||Distributed Systems Software|
|INFO 608||Human-Computer Interaction|
|INFO 633||Information Visualization|
|SE 610||Open Source Software Engineering|
|SE 572||Web Services and Mobile Architectures|
|SE 638||Software Project Management|
|Depth and Studio Courses||12.0|
Choose 1-2 of the following courses to fulfill the Depth Requirement:
|ECEC 500||Fundamentals of Computer Hardware|
|ECEC 622||Parallel Programming|
|ECEC 632||Performance Analysis of Computer Networks|
|ECEC 641||Web Security I|
|ECEC 642||Web Security II|
|ECEC 643||Web Security III|
|INFO 517||Principles of Cybersecurity|
|INFO 555||Introduction to Geographic Information Systems|
|INFO 605||Introduction to Database Management|
|INFO 606||Advanced Database Management|
|INFO 607||Applied Database Technologies|
|INFO 610||Analysis of Interactive Systems|
|INFO 611||Design of Interactive Systems|
|INFO 634||Data Mining|
|INFO 648||Healthcare Informatics|
|INFO 679||Information Ethics|
|INFO 710||Information Forensics|
|INFO 712||Information Assurance|
|INFO 725||Information Policy|
|Complete 2-3 Software Studio Courses:|
|SE 691||Software Studio|
- A four-year bachelor's degree in engineering or computer science from an ABET accredited institution in the United States or an equivalent international institution
- A minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 for the last two years of undergraduate work
- If any graduate work has been completed, the average GPA must be at least 3.0
With multiple ways to submit documents, Drexel makes it easy to complete your application. Learn more by visiting our Completing Your Application Guide.
- A completed application
- Scores from the General Aptitude Test of the GRE
- Scores in the 50th percentile or above in all three sections are sought
- Not required if your cumulative GPA is a 3.0 or above
- Official transcripts from all universities or colleges and other post-secondary educational institutions (including trade schools) attended
- Two professional letters of recommendation
- A 500 word essay on why you wish to pursue the program
- Additional requirements for International Students
The tuition rate for the academic year 2017-2018 is $1228 per credit.
- This program is eligible for Financial Aid.
- Special tuition rates available for Drexel University Alumni, Military members, and members of our Partner Organizations.
- These rates apply only to new online students and students being readmitted.
- Tuition rates are subject to increase with the start of each academic year in the fall term.
- All students must contact applyDUonline@drexel.edu within the first two weeks of the term to request tuition savings for which they qualify.
- Special rates cannot be combined. If you qualify for more than one special rate, you'll be given the one with the largest savings.
- When receiving special tuition plans with Drexel University Online, you may not combine them with other tuition benefits that may be available from Drexel University.
2017-2018 Academic Year
September 25, 2017
December 9, 2017
December 11, 2017
December 16, 2017
January 8, 2018
March 17, 2018
March 19, 2018
March 24, 2018
April 2, 2018
June 9, 2018
June 11, 2018
June 15, 2018
June 25, 2018
September 1, 2018
September 4, 2018
September 8, 2018
2018-2019 Academic Year
September 24, 2018
December 8, 2018
December 10, 2018
December 15, 2018
January 7, 2019
March 16, 2019
March 18, 2019
March 23, 2019
April 1, 2019
June 8, 2019
June 10, 2019
June 14, 2019
June 24, 2019
August 31, 2019
September 3, 2019
September 7, 2019