MSN Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner
The accredited online MSN Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner program is designed to train nurse practitioners in the management of acute and critically ill patients with complex chronic medical conditions. This specialized MSN is conducted by Drexel University’s nationally ranked College of Nursing and Health Professionals and provides the knowledge and skills needed to meet the specialized needs of this patient base. Acute Care Nurse Practitioners are primarily employed in hospital settings including hospitalist roles, intensive care units and specialty medical and surgical practices.
The program places a special emphasis on diagnostic reasoning and clinical decision-making, and is designed to prepare acute care nurses for roles as clinicians, educators, researchers, and leaders in multi-disciplinary healthcare environments.
- The master's degree in nursing at Drexel University is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
- Consistently ranked among the best online Master's in Nursing Programs by U.S. News & World Report
- Synchronous online lectures offer a highly interactive learning format that challenges and engages students
- An experienced and board certified faculty from Drexel’s acclaimed College of Nursing and Health Professions
- Upon completion of the program, students are eligible for Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner Certification through ANCC or AACN
This high-quality program demands a major commitment of time, including multiple on-campus visits that are essential for transition into the NP role. You’ll participate in the following mandatory On-Campus Intensives:
- 2nd Year, Summer Term – First clinical course (2-3 days)
- 3rd Year, Fall Term – Second clinical course (2-3 days)
- 3rd Year, Spring Term – Fourth clinical course (2-3 days)
During the On-Campus Intensives, you'll engage in simulated clinical learning experiences conducted in the College of Nursing and Health Professions' state-of-the-art, multidisciplinary patient simulation lab. These visits provide direct guidance and mentoring from faculty, as well as the opportunity to collaborate with peers.
Pennsylvania RN licensure is required prior to the start of your clinical components. While this is not a requirement for admission, we recommend starting the process immediately after admission.
For questions, please contact:
Online Nurse Practitioner programs are offered only on a part-time basis.
Drexel University offers a variety of Graduate Minors that can be added to any master's degree program.
State restrictions may apply to some programs.
The MSN Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner program at Drexel University is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education.
This program is organized into four 10-week quarters per year (as opposed to the traditional two semester system) which means you can take more courses in a shorter time period. One semester credit is equivalent to 1.5 quarter credits.
|NURS 500||Confronting Issues in Contemporary Health Care Environments||3.0|
|NURS 502||Advanced Ethical Decision Making in Health Care||3.0|
|NURS 544||Quality and Safety in Healthcare||3.0|
|RSCH 503||Research Methods and Biostatistics||3.0|
|RSCH 504||Evaluation and Translation of Health Research||3.0|
|NURS 548||Advanced Pathophysiology||3.0|
|NURS 549||Advanced Pharmacology||3.0|
|NURS 550||Advanced Clinical Assessment & Diagnostic Reasoning||4.0|
|NURS 554||Pharmacology for Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioners||3.0|
|NURS 664||Professional Issues for Nurse Practitioners||1.0|
|NURS 570||Adult Gerontology Acute Care NP I: Introduction to Adult Gerontology Acute Care Medicine||5.0|
|NURS 571||Adult Gerontology Acute Care NP II: Mgnt/Care of Patients in Acute/Crit Care Med Set||5.0|
|NURS 572||Adult Gerontology Acute Care NP III: Mgnt/Care of Patients in Acute Surgical Setting||5.0|
|NURS 573||Adult Gerontology Acute Care NP IV: Management of Care of Patients in Critical Care Settings||5.0|
|NURS 580||Adult Gero Acute Care NP V: Mgmt/Care of Clients in Acute, Critical Care, Med or Surg Settings||5.0|
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing from program fully accredited by National League of Nursing (NLN) and/or American Association Colleges of Nursing (AACN.) The accrediting body for NLN is ACEN and the accrediting body for the American Association Colleges of Nursing is CCNE.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above from your BSN
- Two years of current bedside acute care nursing experience is required. Critical care experience is preferred. Examples of the recommended nursing experience include, but are not limited to: ICU, CCU, ER, trauma and high acuity step down units.
- A current, unrestricted United States RN license
With multiple ways to submit documents, Drexel makes it easy to complete your application. Learn more by visiting our Completing Your Application Guide.
- A completed application
- Official transcripts from all universities or colleges and other post-secondary educational institutions (including trade schools) attended
- Two professional
letters of recommendation from either previous or immediate supervisors or former nursing faculty members who can attest to your clinical knowledge, skill and potential aptitude for graduate study
- References will not be accepted from colleagues or family members
- Personal statement (under 1,000 words) that will give the admissions committee a better understanding of:
- Why you are choosing this particular program of study,
- Your plans upon completion of the graduate degree, and
- How your current work experience will enhance your experience in this MSN program
- Resume including specific details of your responsibilities and job experiences
- A copy of your United States RN license (License verification from your nursing license registry website is acceptable)
- Additional requirements for International Students
The tuition rate for the academic year 2018-2019 is $968 per credit. (A 10% tuition savings off Drexel's regular tuition rate of $1075 per credit)
- This program is eligible for Financial Aid.
- Special tuition rates available for Drexel University Alumni, Military members, and members of our Partner Organizations.
- These rates apply only to new online students and students being readmitted.
- Tuition rates are subject to increase with the start of each academic year in the fall term.
- All students must contact applyDUonline@drexel.edu within the first two weeks of the term to request tuition savings for which they qualify.
- Special rates cannot be combined. If you qualify for more than one special rate, you'll be given the one with the largest savings.
- When receiving special tuition plans with Drexel University Online, you may not combine them with other tuition benefits that may be available from Drexel University.
2018-2019 Academic Year
September 24, 2018
December 8, 2018
December 10, 2018
December 15, 2018
January 7, 2019
March 16, 2019
March 18, 2019
March 23, 2019
April 1, 2019
June 8, 2019
June 10, 2019
June 15, 2019
June 24, 2019
August 31, 2019
September 3, 2019
September 7, 2019