MSN Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
The aging population is expected to double over the next 20 years. Therefore, the need for Adult Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioners will also expand to handle health promotion and the disease management needs of this geriatric population.
Drexel's accredited online MSN in Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner prepares you to perform medical diagnosis and treatment through didactic lectures, problem-based learning, clinical practice hours, standardized patient experiences and high-fidelity simulation. This program coincides with the new models of health care delivery and the increasing demand for adult geriatric nurse practitioners to provide care for the aging and the elderly as well as their families across the entire continuum of health and illness, including acute critical conditions.
- The master's degree in nursing at Drexel University is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
- Collaboration with health care providers that focus on patients at various stages of the aging process
- An experienced and board certified faculty from Drexel's acclaimed College of Nursing and Health Professions
- Professors use various forms of technology, including high-fidelity simulation to create adult-centered learning environments
- Graduates of this program are eligible for Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner Certification through ANCC or AACN
The clinical practice settings, which include primary care and assisted living, provide a mixed outpatient experience ranging from specialty clinical and primary care settings. Supervised clinical hours allow you to perform advanced physical assessment, critical thinking, diagnostic reasoning and management of care in collaboration with licensed physicians and APNs in accredited institutions.
This high-quality program demands a major commitment of time, including multiple on-campus visits that are essential for transition into the NP role. You’ll participate in the following mandatory On-Campus Intensives:
- 2nd Year, Summer Term – First clinical course (2-3 days)
- 3rd Year, Fall Term – Second clinical course (2-3 days)
- 3rd Year, Spring Term – Fourth clinical course (2-3 days)
During the On-Campus Intensives, you'll engage in simulated clinical learning experiences conducted in the College of Nursing and Health Professions' state-of-the-art, multidisciplinary patient simulation lab. These visits provide direct guidance and mentoring from faculty, as well as the opportunity to collaborate with peers.
Pennsylvania RN licensure is required prior to the start of your clinical components. While this is not a requirement for admission, we recommend starting the process immediately after admission.
For questions, please contact:
Online Nurse Practitioner programs are offered only on a part-time basis.
Drexel University offers a variety of Graduate Minors that can be added to any master's degree program.
State restrictions may apply to some programs.
The MSN Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner program at Drexel University is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education.
This program is organized into four 10-week quarters per year (as opposed to the traditional two semester system) which means you can take more courses in a shorter time period. One semester credit is equivalent to 1.5 quarter credits.
|NURS 500||Confronting Issues in Contemporary Health Care Environments||3.0|
|NURS 502||Advanced Ethical Decision Making in Health Care||3.0|
|NURS 544||Quality and Safety in Healthcare||3.0|
|RSCH 503||Research Methods and Biostatistics||3.0|
|RSCH 504||Evaluation and Translation of Health Research||3.0|
|NURS 548||Advanced Pathophysiology||3.0|
|NURS 549||Advanced Pharmacology||3.0|
|NURS 550||Advanced Clinical Assessment & Diagnostic Reasoning||4.0|
|NURS 641||Advanced Pharmacology for Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioners||3.0|
|NURS 664||Professional Issues for Nurse Practitioners||1.0|
|NURS 660||Adult-Gerontology Primary Care I: Introduction to Adult-Gero Primary Care and Care of the Young-Adult||5.0|
|NURS 661||Adult-Gerontology Primary Care II: Management and Care of Adult Patients in Primary Care||5.0|
|NURS 662||Adult-Gerontology Primary Care III: Management of the Older-Adult Patient in Primary Care||5.0|
|NURS 663||Adult-Gerontology Primary Care IV: Gerontology Management and Care||5.0|
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing from program fully accredited by National League of Nursing (NLN) and/or American Association Colleges of Nursing (AACN.) The accrediting body for NLN is ACEN and the accrediting body for the American Association Colleges of Nursing is CCNE.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above from your BSN
- One year of adult nursing experience is preferred, but not required.
- A current, unrestricted United States RN license
With multiple ways to submit documents, Drexel makes it easy to complete your application. Learn more by visiting our Completing Your Application Guide.
- A completed application
- Official transcripts from all universities or colleges and other post-secondary educational institutions (including trade schools) attended
- Two professional letters of recommendation from either previous or immediate supervisors or former nursing faculty members who can attest to your clinical knowledge, skill and potential aptitude for graduate study
- References will not be accepted from colleagues or family members
- Personal statement (under 1,000 words) that will give the admissions committee a better understanding of:
- Why you are choosing this particular program of study,
- Your plans upon completion of the graduate degree, and
- How your current work experience will enhance your experience in this MSN program
- Resume including specific details of your responsibilities and job experiences
- A copy of your United States RN license (License verification from your nursing license registry website is acceptable)
- Additional requirements for International Students
The tuition rate for the academic year 2018-2019 is $968 per credit. (A 10% tuition savings off Drexel's regular tuition rate of $1075 per credit)
- This program is eligible for Financial Aid.
- Special tuition rates available for Drexel University Alumni, Military members, and members of our Partner Organizations.
- These rates apply only to new online students and students being readmitted.
- Tuition rates are subject to increase with the start of each academic year in the fall term.
- All students must contact applyDUonline@drexel.edu within the first two weeks of the term to request tuition savings for which they qualify.
- Special rates cannot be combined. If you qualify for more than one special rate, you'll be given the one with the largest savings.
- When receiving special tuition plans with Drexel University Online, you may not combine them with other tuition benefits that may be available from Drexel University.
2018-2019 Academic Year
September 24, 2018
December 8, 2018
December 10, 2018
December 15, 2018
January 7, 2019
March 16, 2019
March 18, 2019
March 23, 2019
April 1, 2019
June 8, 2019
June 10, 2019
June 14, 2019
June 24, 2019
August 31, 2019
September 3, 2019
September 7, 2019