MS in Biomedicine and Digital Media (Hybrid Program)
The MS in Biomedicine and Digital Media is a unique program providing the opportunity to intersect science, technology, art and entrepreneurship. This skills-based program is for those interested in media design and production careers with an emphasis in health, science and biomedical technology development.
During the program, you will develop:
- A broad core knowledge in interactive digital media development for application in biomedical science and innovative technologies
- More in-depth analytical, research, and critical thinking skills applicable to the process of biomedical technology development
- Skills to identify professional ethical dilemmas and evaluate appropriate solutions
- Graduate-level communication and leadership skills
- Additional professional soft skills (e.g., teamwork, problem-solving, knowledge of career opportunities, networking)
- Interdisciplinary: Taught by expert faculty from Drexel University College of Medicine's Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Institute for Molecular Medicine and Infectious Disease and Drexel's Westphal College of Media Arts and Design.
- Non-Thesis, Hybrid: Biomedical Science courses are taught fully online, and digital media courses are conducted on campus.
- Experiential Learning: Tailor the hands-on experience of the curriculum through on-campus or off-campus internships at locations near you.
- Flexible Plans of Study: Can be taken full or part-time. If you have a record of work-related experience, you may instead enroll in additional elective courses.
Learn about these other interdisciplinary and career-oriented MS programs offered by the Department of Microbiology and Immunology at Drexel University College of Medicine:
- Biomedicine and Business (Hybrid)
- Biomedicine and Entrepreneurship (Online)
- Biomedicine and Law (Online)
- Immunology (Hybrid or On-Campus)
- Infectious Disease (Hybrid or On-Campus)
- Molecular Medicine (Online, Hybrid, or On-Campus)
*The digital media courses below are shown in quarter credits. Three (3.0) credit quarter courses confer the equivalent of 2.0 semester credits. The program requires the completion of 36.0 semester credits for graduation. Semesters and quarters overlap sufficiently to allow full-time students to meet the degree requirements for this program in two years.
|IDPT 500S||Responsible Conduct of Research||2.0|
|or MIIM 503S||Biomedical Ethics|
|MIIM 515S||Concepts in Biomedicine I||3.0|
|MIIM 516S||Concepts in Biomedicine II||2.0|
|MIIM 535S||Biomedical Technology Commercialization I||1.0|
|MIIM 536S||Biomedical Technology Commercialization II||1.0|
|MIIM 550S||Biomedicine Seminar||2.0|
|MIIM 605S||Experiential Learning||3.0|
|MIIM 631S||Biomedical Innovation Development and Management||4.0|
|MIIM 645S||Biomedical Career Explorations||1.0|
|Digital Media Requirements|
|DIGM 505||Design and Interactivity *||3.0|
|DIGM 506||Animation and Game Design *||3.0|
|DIGM 520||Advanced Interactivity I *||3.0|
|DIGM 521||Advanced Interactivity II *||3.0|
|DIGM 525||Advanced Animation I *||3.0|
|DIGM 530||Advanced Game Design I *||3.0|
|Select a minimum of 5 credits from the following:|
|Fundamentals of Molecular Medicine I|
|Fundamentals of Molecular Medicine II|
|Molecular Medicine Journal Club II|
|Molecular Medicine Journal Club I|
|Viruses and Viral Infections|
|Bacteria and Bacterial Infections|
|Mycology and Fungal Infections|
|Parasitology and Parasitic Diseases|
|Introduction to Infectious Diseases|
|Introduction to Immunology|
|Microbiology and Immunology Seminar|
|Emerging Infectious Diseases|
|Clinical Correlations in Infectious Disease|
|Advanced Animation II|
|Advanced Game Design II|
|Total Semester Credits||36.0|
- A four-year degree in a related field
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above
- Lower GPA's will be considered if other strengths are apparent in your application
With multiple ways to submit documents, Drexel makes it easy to complete your application. Learn more by visiting our Completing Your Application Guide.
- A completed application
- Official transcripts from all universities or colleges and other post-secondary educational institutions (including trade schools) attended
letters of recommendation (professional or academic)
- Personal statement (approximately 500 words) that addresses your:
- Reasons for pursuing a degree from Drexel,
- Short and long-term career plans, and
- Vision of how your background, experience, interests, and/or values, when combined with a Drexel degree, will enable you to pursue these goals successfully
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Additional requirements for International Students
Additional Recommended Documents
- Standardized test scores are not required, but highly recommended in order to make your application more competitive
- Score reports accepted: GRE, GMAT, LSAT, MCAT
- Drexel's school code is 2194
The tuition rate for the academic year 2018-2019 is $1540 per credit.
- This program is eligible for Financial Aid.
- Special tuition rates available for Drexel University Alumni, Military members, and members of our Partner Organizations.
- These rates apply only to new online students and students being readmitted.
- Tuition rates are subject to increase with the start of each academic year in the fall term.
- All students must contact applyDUonline@drexel.edu within the first two weeks of the term to request tuition savings for which they qualify.
- Special rates cannot be combined. If you qualify for more than one special rate, you'll be given the one with the largest savings.
- When receiving special tuition plans with Drexel University Online, you may not combine them with other tuition benefits that may be available from Drexel University.
This program includes both Semester and Quarter classes. Learn more about how these terms overlap throughout the year.
2018-2019 Academic Year
August 20, 2018
December 14, 2018
January 7, 2019
May 3, 2019
May 13, 2019
July 26, 2019
September 24, 2018
December 8, 2018
December 10, 2018
December 15, 2018
January 7, 2019
March 16, 2019
March 18, 2019
March 23, 2019
April 1, 2019
June 8, 2019
June 10, 2019
June 14, 2019
June 24, 2019
August 31, 2019
September 3, 2019
September 7, 2019