Graduate Certificate in Instructional Design
**The Graduate Certificate in Instructional Design is not accepting applications for the 2019-2020 academic year. The next start term is Fall 2020. Please check back for future announcements about this program.**
Drexel's accredited online Instructional Design graduate certificate program is designed to prepare professionals to effectively and efficiently design learning environments using a variety of media. This includes those preparing to be instructional designers, teachers, and other learning design professionals for PK-12 education, adult education, and workplace training.
You'll learn about the five phases of systematic instructional design: analysis, design, development, implementation and evaluation, along with newer process models and rapid prototyping to meet the demands of just-in-time learning and reduced budgets. The certificate specifically addresses the needs of the millennial learner and collaborative, networked communities. You're encouraged to integrate your professional experiences and engage co-learners from other environments in their explorations.
You will learn to:
- Create effective learning artifacts using a variety of media and methods including social media via mobile devices
- Design an effective instructional development plan that meets the needs of various stakeholders
- Collaborate with and lead a team of talented contributors to create an instructional product resulting in an effective and efficient outcome
- Design and integrate virtual community processes into learning environments
- Design effective learning experiences for online and blended students using tools and methods specific to these environments
- Apply knowledge from the quickly evolving field of learning science to the design process
- Create effective technology-enhanced instruction that includes analysis, design, development, implementation and evaluation
- Recognize and adapt learning environments, tools, methods, and strategies to engage and optimize learning for disabled populations
- Negotiate an effective instructional design and development initiative that meets the needs of a real client
- Plan, develop, evaluate, and manage the rapid design/development of effective instructional materials
- A flexible, completely online program that fits easily into your busy work and personal schedule
- Drexel is ranked as one of "America’s Best Graduate Schools" preparing today’s educators by U.S.News & World Report, and among the "Top-25 STEM Schools of 2018" by Forbes
- A highly interactive online learning method allows extensive interaction with faculty and other classmates
- Creating A Positive Collaborative Relationship between the Subject Matter Expert and the Instructional Design Team
- Learning Technologies and Creativity & Innovation Programs Online Open House
State restrictions may apply to some programs.
This program is organized into four 10-week quarters per year (as opposed to the traditional two semester system) which means you can take more courses in a shorter time period. One semester credit is equivalent to 1.5 quarter credits.
|EDLT 532||Designing Virtual Communities for Staff Development - Non-Field Experience||3.0|
|or EDLT 533||Designing Virtual Communities|
|EDLT 536||Learning Sciences and Instructional Design||3.0|
|EDLT 550||Introduction to Instructional Design||3.0|
|EDLT 554||Learning with Social Media and Mobiles||3.0|
|EDLT 811||Designing and Developing Multimedia Applications For Learning||3.0|
|ELL 502||E-Learning Technologies||3.0|
|ELL 504||Learning Technologies & Disabilities||3.0|
|EDAM 728||Research Methodology for Action Research||3.0|
|EDAM 740||Action Research Project||3.0|
- A bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution with a GPA of 3.0 or higher (graduate GPA will be considered along with the undergraduate GPA)
With multiple ways to submit documents, Drexel makes it easy to complete your application. Learn more by visiting our Completing Your Application Guide.
- A completed application
- Official transcripts from all universities or colleges and other post-secondary educational institutions (including trade schools) attended
- Two letters of recommendation (professional or academic)
- Personal Statement (500 - 750 words) describing your interest in the program. Specifically:
- How the program relates to your previous educational and professional activities
- If changing course, why you are moving in this new direction with your educational goals
- How the program relates to your current line of work
- How you plan to apply the program to your future goals
- Additional requirements for International Students
The tuition rate for the academic year 2018-2019 is $949 per credit. (A 25% tuition savings off Drexel's regular tuition rate of $1265 per credit)
- This program is eligible for Financial Aid.
- Special tuition rates available for Drexel University Alumni, Military members, and members of our Partner Organizations
- These rates apply only to new online students and students being readmitted.
- Tuition rates are subject to increase with the start of each academic year in the fall term.
- All students must contact applyDUonline@drexel.edu within the first two weeks of the term to request tuition savings for which they qualify.
- Special rates cannot be combined. If you qualify for more than one special rate, you'll be given the one with the largest savings.
- When receiving special tuition plans with Drexel University Online, you may not combine them with other tuition benefits that may be available from Drexel University.
2018-2019 Academic Year
September 24, 2018
December 8, 2018
December 10, 2018
December 15, 2018
January 7, 2019
March 16, 2019
March 18, 2019
March 23, 2019
April 1, 2019
June 8, 2019
June 10, 2019
June 15, 2019
June 24, 2019
August 31, 2019
September 3, 2019
September 7, 2019
2019-2020 Academic Year
September 23, 2019
December 7, 2019
December 9, 2020
December 14, 2019
January 6, 2020
March 16, 2020
March 17, 2020
March 21, 2020
March 30, 2020
June 8, 2020
June 9, 2020
June 13, 2020
June 22, 2020
August 30, 2020
September 2, 2020
September 5, 2020