Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Post-Masters Certificate
The Psychiatric/Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Post-Masters Certificate is designed for those who have earned a Master’s degree in nursing and seek nurse practitioner certification, or for certified nurse practitioners who would like to specify their patient population focus.
A biopsychosocial model is used to examine issues relevant to adult mental health and illness, and prepare you to provide a wide range of mental health services across the lifespan. It includes the study and application of diagnostic and treatment modalities, theories and approaches to practice. You'll learn collaborative skills to work with other healthcare professionals to provide mental healthcare services in all settings. Upon graduation, you'll be able to deliver direct (assessment, intervention) and indirect advanced practice services (consultation, case management and supervision) to individuals who are at risk for and/or require mental health services.
- Synchronous online lectures offer a highly interactive learning format that challenges and engages
- An experienced and board certified faculty from Drexel's acclaimed College of Nursing and Health Professions
- Upon completion of the program, you're eligible for Psychiatric/Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Certification through ANCC
- The post-graduate APRN certificate at Drexel University is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
This is a high-quality program that demands a major time commitment. Because you're being trained to diagnose and treat patients, this program was designed to combine the convenience of online learning with the necessary rigor to become a highly competent, confident and advanced nurse practitioner upon graduation. Thus, while most courses are offered online, some facets of the program do require on-campus visits and a clinical practicum rotation.** The on-campus visits include:
- NURS 592 PMHNP I - Summer Residency (3 days)
- NURS 593 PMHNP II - Fall Simulation Experience (2 days)
- NURS 594 PMHNP III - Winter Simulation Experience (2 days)
- NURS 595 PMHNP IV - Spring Residency (3 days)
During the mandatory On-Campus Intensive, you'll participate in simulated clinical learning experiences conducted in the College of Nursing and Health Professions' state-of-the-art, multidisciplinary patient simulation lab. These visits allow professors to offer direct support, guidance, and mentoring while providing you with the opportunity to interact with faculty members and collaborate with peers. Pennsylvania RN licensure will be required prior to the start of your clinical components. While this is not a requirement for admission, we recommend starting the process immediately after admission.
For questions, please contact:
*Online Nurse Practitioner programs are offered only on a part-time basis.
*State restrictions may apply to some programs.
*The Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Post-Masters Certificate program at Drexel University is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education.
This program is organized into four 10-week quarters per year (as opposed to the traditional two semester system) which means you can take more courses in a shorter time period. One semester credit is equivalent to 1.5 quarter credits.
|NURS 548||Advanced Pathophysiology||3.0|
|NURS 549||Advanced Pharmacology||3.0|
|NURS 550||Advanced Clinical Assessment & Diagnostic Reasoning||4.0|
|NURS 555||Psychopharmacology Across the Lifespan||3.0|
|NURS 592||PMHNP I: Advanced Mental Health NP Theoretical Foundations and Psychopathology I||5.0|
|NURS 593||PMHNP II: Advanced Mental Health NP Theoretical Foundations and Psychopathology II||5.0|
|NURS 594||PMHNP III: Advanced Mental Health NP Theoretical Foundations and Psychopathology III||5.0|
|NURS 595||PMHNP IV: Advanced Mental Health NP Management and Care of Clients in Diverse Pop Across the Lifespan.||5.0|
|NURS 664||Professional Issues for Nurse Practitioners||1.0|
- Master of Science in Nursing from program fully accredited by National League of Nursing (NLN) and/or American Association Colleges of Nursing (AACN.) The accrediting body for NLN is ACEN and the accrediting body for the American Association Colleges of Nursing is CCNE.
- GPA of 3.0 or above
- Current, unrestricted United States RN license
- Minimum 1 year of psychiatric nursing experience
With multiple ways to submit documents, Drexel makes it easy to complete your application. Learn more by visiting our Completing Your Application Guide.
- A completed application
- Official transcripts from all universities or colleges and other post-secondary educational institutions (including trade schools) attended
- Two professional letters of recommendation from either previous or immediate supervisors or former nursing faculty members who can attest to your clinical knowledge, skill and potential aptitude for graduate study
- References will not be accepted from colleagues or family members
- Personal statement (800 to 1,600 words) that will give the admissions committee a better understanding of:
- Why you are choosing this particular track
- How your current work experience will enhance your experience in this program, and
- Your plans upon completing the degree
- Resume including specific details of your responsibilities and job experiences
- A copy of your United States RN license (License verification from your nursing license registry website is acceptable)
- Additional requirements for International Students
The tuition rate for the academic year 2018-2019 is $968 per credit. (A 10% tuition savings off Drexel's regular tuition rate of $1075 per credit)
- This program is eligible for Financial Aid.
- Special tuition rates available for Drexel University Alumni, Military members, and members of our Partner Organizations.
- These rates apply only to new online students and students being readmitted.
- Tuition rates are subject to increase with the start of each academic year in the fall term.
- All students must contact applyDUonline@drexel.edu within the first two weeks of the term to request tuition savings for which they qualify.
- Special rates cannot be combined. If you qualify for more than one special rate, you'll be given the one with the largest savings.
- When receiving special tuition plans with Drexel University Online, you may not combine them with other tuition benefits that may be available from Drexel University.
2018-2019 Academic Year
September 24, 2018
December 8, 2018
December 10, 2018
December 15, 2018
January 7, 2019
March 16, 2019
March 18, 2019
March 23, 2019
April 1, 2019
June 8, 2019
June 10, 2019
June 14, 2019
June 24, 2019
August 31, 2019
September 3, 2019
September 7, 2019