Certificate in Maternal and Child Health
Drexel’s accredited, online Certificate in Maternal and Child Health (MCH) provides the knowledge and skills needed to effectively promote the health and well-being of women, mothers, infants, children, adolescents, and families in local, domestic, and global settings.
Access a tailored maternal and child health core curriculum, informed by federal MCH leadership competencies, to learn how to translate data into practice, plan and evaluate programs, and communicate with distinct and diverse audiences guided by mentors/faculty with MCH experience. As a student of Drexel's maternal and child health certificate program, you will apply skills in a required local field experience, as well as elective domestic and global practical experiences using innovative technology and enhance your capacity in the MCH workforce.
- Courses taught by experienced faculty from Drexel’s Dornsife School of Public Health, which is accredited by the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH)
- Convenient 100% online format for busy professionals
- Curriculum shaped by the five MCH core competencies:
- Scientific Basis
- Methodological/Analytical Skills
- Management and Communication Skills
- Policy and Advocacy Skills
- Values and Ethics in MCH Public Health Practice
- One of five national HRSA-Funded MCH Public Health Catalyst Programs
- Taught by Drexel faculty and guest lectures by national and international experts in MCH
Upon completion, you will be able to:
- Understand the historical development of the maternal and child health field, including the history of local, state, and federal MCH agencies and their structure, and national legislative mandates relative to MCH
- Define the MCH population in a community
- Apply the life course perspective to MCH public health problems
- Utilize core public health analysis and research methods to interpret MCH data and translate it into MCH practice
- Describe the design, implementation, and evaluation of MCH programs domestically and internationally
- Explain the tenets of MCH program planning and evaluation and identify essential gaps in existing programs serving mothers and children
- Effectively communicate to diverse MCH populations
- Identify the biological, social, and behavioral basis for a MCH program
Online Open House
View our previously recorded online open house to learn more about the Certificate in Maternal and Child Health program.
State restrictions may apply to some programs.
This program is organized into four 10-week quarters per year (as opposed to the traditional two semester system) which means you can take more courses in a shorter time period. One semester credit is equivalent to 1.5 quarter credits.
|CHP 517||Overview of Maternal and Child Health||3.0|
|CHP 518||Global Issues in Maternal and Child Health||3.0|
|EPI 570||Introduction to Epidemiology||3.0|
|Electives (Choose 3)
|Research with Rare, Stigmatized, and Hidden Populations|
|LGBT Health Disparities|
|Introduction to SAS|
|Design and Analysis of Epidemiological Studies|
|Violence, Trauma, and Adversity in Public Health|
|Change Management in Public Health|
More electives coming soon.
- Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited university
- Demonstrated interest or work experience in Maternal and Child Health
With multiple ways to submit documents, Drexel makes it easy to complete your application. Learn more by visiting our supporting document submission guide.
The tuition rate for the academic year 2019-2020 is $1198 per credit.
- This program is not eligible for Financial Aid.
- Special tuition rates available for Drexel University Alumni, Military members, and members of our Partner Organizations.
- These rates apply only to new online students and students being readmitted.
- These rates apply only to fully online courses. Hybrid or on-campus courses may have different rates.
- Tuition rates are subject to increase with the start of each academic year in the fall term.
- All students must contact applyDUonline@drexel.edu within the first two weeks of the term to request tuition savings for which they qualify.
- Special rates cannot be combined. If you qualify for more than one special rate, you'll be given the one with the largest savings.
- When receiving special tuition plans with Drexel University Online, you may not combine them with other tuition benefits that may be available from Drexel University.
2019-2020 Academic Year
September 23, 2019
December 7, 2019
December 9, 2019
December 14, 2019
January 6, 2020
March 16, 2020
March 17, 2020
March 21, 2020
March 30, 2020
June 8, 2020
June 9, 2020
June 13, 2020
June 22, 2020
August 30, 2020
September 2, 2020
September 5, 2020