Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) Online Program
MS in Applied Behavior Analysis
Given that the number of Americans on the autism spectrum has increased tenfold over the last 40 years, there is a rapidly increasing demand for professionals trained in the science of human behavior and its impact on learning much-needed life skills. Drexel's online Master’s in Applied Behavior Analysis empowers you to help others succeed, while forging new career trails of your own, using well-established, evidence-based ABA principles, practices, and tools. Throughout the program you will experience hands-on learning and have the added benefit of access to groundbreaking research from the A.J. Drexel Autism Institute – the first center of its kind to study autism from a public health perspective.
In the following video, Assistant Professor and Clinical Director of the A.J. Drexel Autism Institute, James E. Connell Jr., details what makes Drexel's ABA program stand out:
What is a Master’s in Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA)?
Designed to integrate scientific theory with proven behavioral strategies, the Master’s in Applied Behavior Analysis prepares you to promote positive change across a variety of settings. You will use functional analysis, social and adaptive behavior tools, and performance assessments that prepare you to care for and educate the growing community of children and adults with autism. Upon completing the coursework, you may be eligible to sit for the Board Certified Behavior Analyst Examination® (BCBA) exam.
This program is designed to meet the needs of such professionals as special education teachers, school psychologists, social workers, case managers, and those interested in other education and behavioral health disciplines.
Online Master’s in Applied Behavior Analysis Features and Benefits
- Learn from the A.J. Drexel Autism Institute, which boasts renowned staff who are widely-published and respected in the field
- Gain the opportunity to publish mentor-supported research projects
- Access interdisciplinary research and resources from Drexel’s academic canon
- Work with the same faculty and curriculum, and earn the same degree, as Drexel's distinguished on-campus program
Master’s in ABA Concentrations
You will complete core coursework as well as one of the following concentrations:
- Autism Spectrum Disorders
Take a deeper dive into the study of autism by completing a concentration in Autism Spectrum Disorders, which emphasizes communication, language skills and research-based approaches.
- Social, Emotional, and Behavioral Wellness
Prepare to help address non-academic barriers to learning. You will learn the best techniques for building collaborative partnerships with families, patients, and the larger educational community, and developing evidence-based, age-appropriate strategies to support PreK-12 students.
Gain real world experience by completing an in-person practicum at locations such as the A.J. Drexel Autism Institute – the first research organization dedicated to bringing a public health approach to the challenges presented by autism spectrum disorders – or at other regional behavioral health care centers. Students that choose this option may finish the program with 750 practicum hours. The practicum concentration option will be discontinued after the 2019-2020 academic year.
BACB Verified Online MS in ABA
The Behavior Analyst Certification Board, Inc.® has verified this course sequence as meeting the coursework requirements for eligibility to take the Board Certified Behavior Analyst Examination®.
What Can You Do with a Master’s in Applied Behavior Analysis?
The MS in ABA prepares you for a number of opportunities in research, education, and behavioral health. Graduates from Drexel’s program have gone on to successful careers as social workers, behavioral analysts, educators, program coordinators, senior clinical directors, and interventionists in public and private institutions, among other careers.
For example, two online students used their Drexel experience to help them find their dream jobs. See how Kelleen Corrigan and Sarah Chung have put their Applied Behavior Analysis degrees to work:
- Dual Master's Degree in Applied Behavioral Analysis and Special Education
- Graduate Certificate in Applied Behavior Analysis
- Graduate Certificate in Autism Spectrum Disorders
This program is organized into four 10-week quarters per year (as opposed to the traditional two semester system) which means you can take more courses in a shorter time period. One semester credit is equivalent to 1.5 quarter credits.
|The Behavior Analyst Certification Board, Inc.® has approved the MS in Applied Behavior Analysis course sequence as meeting the coursework requirements for eligibility to take the Board Certified Behavior Analyst Examination®.
You must meet additional requirements to qualify.
|Applied Behavior Analysis Core Courses|
|EDEX 630||Fundamental Elements of Behavior Change||4.5|
|EDEX 631||Measurement and Experimental Design||4.5|
|EDEX 632||Behavioral Assessment and Functional Analysis||4.5|
|EDEX 633||Behavioral Interventions||4.5|
|EDEX 634||Consultation, Systems Change, and Supervision||4.5|
|EDEX 635||Ethical Considerations and Professional Conduct||4.5|
|EDEX 636||Applications of Fundamental Elements of Behavior Analysis||4.5|
|Select one of the following concentrations:||9.0|
|Autism Spectrum Disorders - Select three of the following courses:|
|Teaching Students with Autism Spectrum Disorder|
|Characteristics & Methods: Autism|
|Characteristics & Methods: High Functioning Autism|
|Communication & Language Interventions: Autism Spectrum Disorders|
|Behavior & Sensory Support: Autism Spectrum Disorders|
|Social, Emotional, and Behavioral Wellness - Select three of the following courses:|
|Social Emotional Wellness and Preventative Practices|
|Understanding Social Emotional Disorders|
|Evidence-Based School Interventions and Trauma Informed Education/Care|
|Collaboration and Community Based Practices to Promote Social Emotional Wellness|
|Field Experience in Applied Behavior Analysis|
|An Analysis of Verbal Behavior|
|Select from one of the following tracks:|
|EDUT 780||Thesis Capstone Course I|
|EDUT 781||Thesis Capstone Course II|
|EDUP 780||Practitioner Capstone Course I|
|EDUP 781||Practitioner Capstone Course II|
*If the Practicum Concentration option is selected, you will take EDEX 700 multiple times to reach 9.0 credits.
- A bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution with a GPA of 3.0 or higher
With multiple ways to submit documents, Drexel makes it easy to complete your application. Learn more by visiting our Completing Your Application Guide.
- A completed application
- Official transcripts from all universities or colleges and other post-secondary educational institutions (including trade schools) attended
- Two letters of recommendation
- Personal essay addressing the following:
- Why you’re interested in this field
- Why you’re interested in attending the program at Drexel University
- Your career goals and how Drexel’s program will help you achieve them
- How this program relates to your previous education and/or work experience
- Additional requirements for International Students
An admissions interview is also required
The tuition rate for the academic year 2019-2020 is $978 per credit. (A 25% tuition savings off Drexel's regular tuition rate of $1303 per credit)
- This program is eligible for Financial Aid.
- Special tuition rates available for Drexel University Alumni, Military members, and members of our Partner Organizations
- These rates apply only to new online students and students being readmitted.
- These rates apply only to fully online courses. Hybrid or on-campus courses may have different rates.
- Tuition rates are subject to increase with the start of each academic year in the fall term.
- All students must contact applyDUonline@drexel.edu within the first two weeks of the term to request tuition savings for which they qualify.
- Special rates cannot be combined. If you qualify for more than one special rate, you'll be given the one with the largest savings.
- When receiving special tuition plans with Drexel University Online, you may not combine them with other tuition benefits that may be available from Drexel University.
The following faculty members are available to speak to you about the program by phone or email. For a full listing of faculty, please visit Drexel's School of Education.
2019-2020 Academic Year
September 23, 2019
December 7, 2019
December 9, 2019
December 14, 2019
January 6, 2020
March 16, 2020
March 17, 2020
March 21, 2020
March 30, 2020
June 8, 2020
June 9, 2020
June 13, 2020
June 22, 2020
August 30, 2020
September 2, 2020
September 5, 2020