Online MS in Teaching: Dual Certification in Secondary & Special Education
MS in Teaching, Learning, and Curriculum: Dual Certification Track - Secondary Subject Areas with Special Education
Drexel University’s online MS in Teaching, Learning, and Curriculum: Dual Certification helps prepare you for certification in both secondary education and special education, all while earning your master’s degree. Graduates are equipped to manage diverse learning styles and to utilize the latest assessment tools to develop, analyze, implement, and evaluate instructional strategies.
What is an MS in Teaching, Learning, & Curriculum Dual Certification in Secondary & Special Education?
Drexel’s dual certification combines elements of the MS in Special Education and the MS in Teaching, Learning, and Curriculum: Teacher Certification Track – Secondary Education to help you excel in both areas. The program prepares you for initial Instructional I Certification and Instructional II (7-12) Special Education Certification. Courses focus on foundational pedagogy, specialized lessons for your subject area, and how to meet the needs of students with disabilities. Field experience and student teaching ensure that when you enter your own classroom, you’ll feel comfortable and ready to lead.
- The program prepares you to obtain a Pennsylvania Instructional I Certificate and Pennsylvania Instructional II Special Education 7-12 Certification – through Interstate Reciprocity Agreements, you can become certified to teach in almost any state.
- 270 hours of field experience and a 12-week student teaching experience will provide you with the experience needed to enter your own classroom with confidence.
- Drexel’s field placement office works with you to secure appropriate school placements, no matter where you’re based.
- While in the program you will receive help with resumes and networking, including interviewing and job placement opportunities. Once you graduate, you’ll have access to two years of post-program support including classroom-based coaching, professional development programs, and notifications of job openings.
Teacher Certification Secondary Subject Areas
For the Instructional I Teaching Certificate, you will select from one of the following concentration areas:
- Earth and Space Science
- General Science
- Social Studies
Online Open House
Join us on Tuesday, July 23rd from 2 - 3 p.m. ET to learn more about the School of Education's online programs and have your questions answered by a Drexel representative. Register Today!
What are the Salary Expectations for Graduates with an MS in Teaching, Learning, & Curriculum Dual Certification in Secondary & Special Education?
Teachers’ salaries can vary widely due to a number of factors – location, level of education, subject, etc. Here are some median salaries for educators:
2017 Median National Salaries*
High School Teacher
Middle School Teacher
Special Education Teacher
*Data from Bureau of Labor Statistics
This program is organized into four 10-week quarters per year (as opposed to the traditional two semester system) which means you can take more courses in a shorter time period. One semester credit is equivalent to 1.5 quarter credits.
|EDEX 542||Fundamentals of Special Education||3.0|
|EDUC 515||Adolescent Learner in Secondary Schools||3.0|
|EDUC 522||Evaluation of Instruction||3.0|
|EDEX 544||The Inclusive Classroom||3.0|
|EDUC 566||Literacy & Content Skill Development (7-12)||3.0|
|EDUC 565||Foundations in Instructing English Language Learners||3.0|
|EDED 538||Special Education Processes 7-12||3.0|
|EDEX 543||Emotional & Behavioral Support of Individuals with Disabilities||3.0|
|EDEX 549||Teaching Individuals with High Incident Disabilities||3.0|
|EDEX 550||Teaching Individuals with Low Incident Disabilities||3.0|
|EDEX 555||Teaching Students with Autism Spectrum Disorder||3.0|
|EDEX 552||Integrating Technology for Learning & Achievement||3.0|
|EDEX 577||Special Education Practicum 7-12||3.0|
|EDEX 565||Teaching Secondary Mathematics in an Inclusive Environment||3.0|
|EDUC 540||Graduate Student Teaching with Seminar||3.0|
|Choose one of the following:||3.0|
|EDUC 514||Science Teaching Methods|
|EDUC 538||English Teaching Methods|
|EDUC 556||Secondary Social Studies Methods (7-12)|
|MTED 519||Teaching Secondary Mathematics|
- A bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution
- Undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher (graduate degree GPA will be considered along with the undergraduate GPA),
- If you're pursuing Teacher Education Certification, you must meet the PA State content course requirements for your specific area of certification
- Content course reviews are conducted at time of application
- Coursework missing from your undergraduate background or below the minimum 3.0 GPA cumulative average may be taken concurrently with the graduate program
With multiple ways to submit documents, Drexel makes it easy to complete your application. Learn more by visiting our Completing Your Application Guide.
The tuition rate for the academic year 2019-2020 is $978 per credit. (A 25% tuition savings off Drexel's regular tuition rate of $1303 per credit)
- This program is eligible for Financial Aid.
- Special tuition rates available for Drexel University Alumni, Military members, and members of our Partner Organizations
- These rates apply only to new online students and students being readmitted.
- Tuition rates are subject to increase with the start of each academic year in the fall term.
- All students must contact applyDUonline@drexel.edu within the first two weeks of the term to request tuition savings for which they qualify.
- Special rates cannot be combined. If you qualify for more than one special rate, you'll be given the one with the largest savings.
- When receiving special tuition plans with Drexel University Online, you may not combine them with other tuition benefits that may be available from Drexel University.
2019-2020 Academic Year
September 23, 2019
December 7, 2019
December 9, 2019
December 14, 2019
January 6, 2020
March 16, 2020
March 17, 2020
March 21, 2020
March 30, 2020
June 8, 2020
June 9, 2020
June 13, 2020
June 22, 2020
August 30, 2020
September 2, 2020
September 5, 2020