Online Master's in Health Informatics
The demand for workers who understand the relationship between healthcare and information systems is growing rapidly. The U.S. Department of Labor estimates a 37% growth in demand for educated administrators, specialists, consultants, educators, and researchers in the healthcare industry.
Drexel University's online Master of Science in Health Informatics prepares you to utilize today’s advanced information systems to create more efficient and productive healthcare environments. This program is ideal for healthcare professionals interested in improving their organization’s use of informatics and for information technology specialists seeking careers with biomedical or health organizations. This interdisciplinary program is housed at the College of Computing and Informatics and receives curricular support from the College of Nursing and Health Professions.
The Master of Science Degree, Health Informatics Program at the College of Computing & Informatics at Drexel University is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education.
Learn more about the 4 fastest growing jobs in the field.
You will learn to:
- Articulate the ways in which data, information and knowledge are generated and used to solve healthcare problems across diverse settings, from individual patients to universal public health issues
- Develop and apply contemporary information science theories and methods toward the generation, management and sharing of biomedical data
- Implement, adapt, and validate existing informatics concepts and approaches as they relate to specific biomedical and healthcare problems
- Employ concepts and techniques from the social, behavioral, communications and organizational sciences to develop information systems that solve substantial issues in biomedical and healthcare administration
- Utilize principles from ethics, law and socio-economic policy that improve patient care
- Work collaboratively across disciplines to define, discuss, and resolve key issues in healthcare informatics
- Drexel University is a charter member of the American Medical Informatics Association Academic Forum
- Curriculum focuses on the systems of informatics and psycho-social aspects of the healthcare industry.
- The program is offered completely online, on a full-time or part-time basis
Those interested in pursuing a degree in health informatics may also be interested in the Certificate in Healthcare Informatics.
This program is organized into four 10-week quarters per year (as opposed to the traditional two semester system) which means you can take more courses in a shorter time period. One semester credit is equivalent to 1.5 quarter credits.
You may transfer up to 9 approved credits (3 courses) into the program.
|INFO 540||Perspectives on Information Systems||3.0|
|INFO 600||Web Systems & Architecture||3.0|
|INFO 605||Database Management Systems||3.0|
|INFO 606||Advanced Database Management||3.0|
|INFO 620||Information Systems Analysis and Design||3.0|
|INFO 648||Healthcare Informatics||3.0|
|INFO 659||Introduction to Data Analytics||3.0|
|INFO 712||Information Assurance||3.0|
|INFO 896||Health Informatics Experience *||3.0|
|NURS 557||Leadership and Stewardship in the Health Professions||3.0|
|NURS 558||Economics of Healthcare Management & Policy||3.0|
|Choose three of the following:|
|BST 571||Introduction to Biostatistics|
|BUSN 651||Healthcare Business Practice I: Foundations|
|BUSN 652||Healthcare Business Practice II|
|BUSN 653||Healthcare Business Practice III: Capstone|
|DSCI 511||Data Acquisition and Pre-Processing|
|DSCI 521||Data Analysis and Interpretation|
|EPI 570||Introduction to Epidemiology|
|EPI 572||Design and Analysis of Epidemiological Studies|
|HSAD 505||Ethical and Legal Issues in Healthcare Management and Policy|
|INFO 517||Principles of Cybersecurity|
|INFO 608||Human-Computer Interaction|
|INFO 610||Analysis of Interactive Systems|
|INFO 611||Design of Interactive Systems|
|INFO 622||Content Representation|
|INFO 623||Social Network Analytics|
|INFO 624||Information Retrieval Systems|
|INFO 634||Data Mining|
|INFO 646||Information Systems Management|
|INFO 731||Managing Health Informatics Projects|
|INFO 732||Healthcare Informatics: Planning & Evaluation|
|INFO 733||Public Health Informatics|
|NURS 531||Epidemiology in Action: Tracking Health & Disease|
|NURS 532||Evaluation of Health Outcomes|
|NURS 564||The Business of Healthcare|
|RSCH 519||Introduction to Biostatistics|
|RSCH 523||Methods for Health Research|
|SE 630||Software Engineering Economics|
*You are encouraged to contact the program director to develop a project assignment and agreement for INFO 896.
- A four-year bachelor's degree in any major from a regionally accredited institution in the United States or an equivalent international institution
- A GPA of 3.0 or higher, in a completed degree program, bachelors or above
With multiple ways to submit documents, Drexel makes it easy to complete your application. Learn more by visiting our Completing Your Application Guide.
- A completed application
- Official transcripts from all universities or colleges and other post-secondary educational institutions (including trade schools) attended
- Scores from the General Aptitude Test of the GRE
- We offer a preliminary GRE waiver for students who have a cumulative GPA of 3.2 or higher for a conferred undergraduate or graduate degree. This is a departmental decision. The GRE waiver does not need to be requested.
- Scores in the 50th percentile or above in all three sections are sought
- Scores must be less than 5 years old
- One letter of recommendation, two suggested (academic, professional, or both)
- Essay/Statement of Purpose
- In approximately 500 words, describe what professional goals you hope to achieve, how an advanced degree facilitates that success and anything else you want the Admissions Review Board to know about you.
- Additional requirements for International Students
The tuition rate for the academic year 2019-2020 is $1303 per credit.
- This program is eligible for Financial Aid.
- Special tuition rates available for Drexel University Alumni, Military members, and members of our Partner Organizations
- These rates apply only to new online students and students being readmitted.
- Tuition rates are subject to increase with the start of each academic year in the fall term.
- All students must contact applyDUonline@drexel.edu within the first two weeks of the term to request tuition savings for which they qualify.
- Special rates cannot be combined. If you qualify for more than one special rate, you'll be given the one with the largest savings.
- When receiving special tuition plans with Drexel University Online, you may not combine them with other tuition benefits that may be available from Drexel University.
2019-2020 Academic Year
September 23, 2019
December 7, 2019
December 9, 2019
December 14, 2019
January 6, 2020
March 16, 2020
March 17, 2020
March 21, 2020
March 30, 2020
June 8, 2020
June 9, 2020
June 13, 2020
June 22, 2020
August 30, 2020
September 2, 2020
September 5, 2020