Online Masters in Health Informatics
The demand for workers who understand the relationship between healthcare and information systems is growing rapidly. The U.S. Department of Labor estimates a 37% growth in demand for educated administrators, specialists, consultants, educators, and researchers in the healthcare industry.
Drexel University's online Master of Science in Health Informatics prepares you to utilize today’s advanced information systems to create more efficient and productive healthcare environments. This program is ideal for healthcare professionals interested in improving their organization’s use of informatics and for information technology specialists seeking careers with biomedical or health organizations. This interdisciplinary program is housed at the College of Computing and Informatics and receives curricular support from the College of Nursing and Health Professions.
You will learn to:
- Articulate the ways in which data, information and knowledge are generated and used to solve healthcare problems across diverse settings, from individual patients to universal public health issues
- Develop and apply contemporary information science theories and methods toward the generation, management and sharing of biomedical data
- Implement, adapt, and validate existing informatics concepts and approaches as they relate to specific biomedical and healthcare problems
- Employ concepts and techniques from the social, behavioral, communications and organizational sciences to develop information systems that solve substantial issues in biomedical and healthcare administration
- Utilize principles from ethics, law and socio-economic policy that improve patient care
- Work collaboratively across disciplines to define, discuss, and resolve key issues in healthcare informatics
- Drexel University is a charter member of the American Medical Informatics Association Academic Forum
- Curriculum focuses on the systems of informatics and psycho-social aspects of the healthcare industry.
- The program is offered completely online, on a full-time or part-time basis
Those interested in pursuing a degree in health informatics may also be interested in the Certificate in Healthcare Informatics.
This program is organized into four 10-week quarters per year (as opposed to the traditional two semester system) which means you can take more courses in a shorter time period. One semester credit is equivalent to 1.5 quarter credits.
|INFO 540||Perspectives on Information Systems||3.0|
|INFO 600||Web Systems & Architecture||3.0|
|INFO 605||Introduction to Database Management||3.0|
|INFO 608||Human-Computer Interaction||3.0|
|INFO 620||Information Systems Analysis and Design||3.0|
|INFO 648||Healthcare Informatics||3.0|
|INFO 659||Introduction to Data Analytics||3.0|
|INFO 712||Information Assurance *||3.0|
|INFO 731||Managing Health Informatics Projects||3.0|
|INFO 732||Healthcare Informatics: Planning & Evaluation||3.0|
|INFO 896||Health Informatics Experience||3.0|
|Healthcare Business Practice I: Foundations|
|Healthcare Business Practice II|
|Healthcare Business Practice III: Capstone|
|Introduction to Descriptive Epidemiology and Biostatistics|
|Introduction to Analytic Epidemiology and Biostatistics|
|Design and Analysis of Epidemiological Studies|
|Ethical and Legal Issues in Healthcare Management and Policy|
|Principles of Cybersecurity|
|Introduction to Geographic Information Systems|
|Advanced Database Management|
|Analysis of Interactive Systems|
|Design of Interactive Systems|
|Information Retrieval Systems|
|Public Health Informatics|
|Introduction to Digital Curation|
|Epidemiology in Action: Tracking Health & Disease|
|Evaluation of Health Outcomes|
|Leadership and Stewardship in the Health Professions|
|Economics of Healthcare Management & Policy|
|The Business of Healthcare|
|Introduction to Biostatistics|
|Methods for Health Research|
*Students new to computing may take INFO 517 as an elective prior to registering for INFO 712.
- A four-year bachelor's degree in any major from a regionally accredited institution in the United States or an equivalent international institution
- A GPA of 3.0 or higher, in a completed degree program, bachelors or above
With multiple ways to submit documents, Drexel makes it easy to complete your application. Learn more by visiting our Completing Your Application Guide.
- A completed application
- Official transcripts from all universities or colleges and other post-secondary educational institutions (including trade schools) attended
- Scores from the General Aptitude Test of the GRE
- We offer a preliminary GRE waiver for students who have a cumulative GPA of 3.2 or higher for a conferred undergraduate or graduate degree. This is a departmental decision. The GRE waiver does not need to be requested.
- Scores in the 50th percentile or above in all three sections are sought
- Scores must be less than 5 years old
- One letter of recommendation, two suggested (academic, professional, or both)
- Essay/Statement of Purpose
- In approximately 500 words, describe what professional goals you hope to achieve, how an advanced degree facilitates that success and anything else you want the Admissions Review Board to know about you.
- Additional requirements for International Students
The tuition rate for the academic year 2017-2018 is $1228 per credit.
- This program is eligible for Financial Aid.
- Special tuition rates available for Drexel University Alumni, Military members, and members of our Partner Organizations.
- These rates apply only to new online students and students being readmitted.
- All students must contact applyDUonline@drexel.edu within the first two weeks of the term to request tuition savings for which they qualify.
- Special rates cannot be combined. If you qualify for more than one special rate, you'll be given the one with the largest savings.
- When receiving special tuition plans with Drexel University Online, you may not combine them with other tuition benefits that may be available from Drexel University.
2017-2018 Academic Year
September 25, 2017
December 9, 2017
December 11, 2017
December 16, 2017
January 8, 2018
March 17, 2018
March 19, 2018
March 24, 2018
April 2, 2018
June 9, 2018
June 11, 2018
June 15, 2018
June 25, 2018
September 1, 2018
September 4, 2018
September 8, 2018