Online LLM in Health Care and Pharmaceutical Law
With the complexities of today’s health care industry, specialized knowledge is necessary to navigate the ins-and-outs of the system. Drexel University’s online LLM in Health Care and Pharmaceutical Compliance is designed to help lawyers gain the expertise they need to successfully establish themselves as trusted specialists in the health care field.
What is an LLM in Health Care & Pharmaceutical Compliance?
An LLM (a Master of Laws) is a secondary degree available to those who hold a Juris Doctor (JD) or international equivalent. This is an advanced, specialized degree that lets you delve deep into a specific area or topic of law. Drexel’s online LLM focuses on compliance in the health care and pharmaceutical industry, with the curriculum highlighting topics like food and drug law and the regulation of pharmaceutical and medical device sales and marketing. An online LLM in Cyber Law and Data Privacy is also available.
LLM Degree in Health Care & Pharmaceutical Law Online Program Features
- Drexel University’s Thomas R. Kline School of Law was rated 18th in the Nation for Health Care Law by US News and World Report (2018)
- Focus on either Health Care Compliance or Pharmaceutical Compliance, or take classes in both areas
- Program can be completed on a full- or part-time basis
- Completely online format means you can learn around your busy schedule
- Option to complete a thesis
What Can I Do With an LLM in Health Care & Pharmaceutical Compliance?
Because you need to have a JD or equivalent law degree to earn an LLM, most graduates of LLM programs are practicing attorneys working at law firms, for the government, or as in-house counsel for pharmaceutical and insurance companies and health systems. Graduates can also work in compliance or in other roles that are responsible for making sure their organization can navigate the relevant legal systems within the health care and pharmaceutical industries.
What Salary Can I Earn with an LLM in Pharmaceutical & Health Care Compliance?
Although salaries can vary based on organization and location, the following median incomes provide an idea of the salary you can earn after graduation.
*2017 figures via Bureau of Labor Statistics and O*Net
What is the difference between an MLS, JD, and LLM?
While a JD, an LLM and an MLS are all law-adjacent degrees, they differ in terms of scope. A JD is the only postgraduate degree that gives law school graduates the ability to sit for a bar exam. A state bar exam must be passed in order to practice law in the United States. An LLM is an advanced, specialized degree designed for those who already have a JD or international law degree. LLM programs provide a deeper dive into a specific area of the law. A Master of Legal Studies (MLS) is a graduate degree for those that may or may not have a JD. An MLS program focuses on how laws and regulations work and how to properly conduct business within them, focusing on areas such as risk assessment, compliance, and ethics. You cannot practice law with only an MLS degree.
What are the Requirements for an Online Law Degree focused in Health Care?
To be considered for Drexel’s online LLM in Health Care and Pharmaceutical Compliance, domestic students need to have earned a JD from an ABA-accredited law school. International students must have earned a Bachelor of Law (LLB) or its equivalent. Learn more.
- Graduate Certificate in Health Care Compliance
- LLM in Cyber Law and Data Privacy
- Master of Legal Studies with a concentration in Health Care Compliance
|LSTU 501S||Compliance Skills: Auditing, Investigation, & Reporting||
|LSTU 507S||Risk Assessment and Management||
|Complete 18 elective credits OR 12 elective credits plus Thesis Project I & II.
|LAW 674S||Health Care Fraud and Abuse|
|LAW 770S||European Union Data Privacy|
|LAW 780S||Regulating Health Care Quality|
|LAW 781S||Regulating Health Care Cost and Access|
|LAW 785S||Legal Regulation of Pharmaceutical and Medical Device R&D|
|LAW 787S||Legal Regulation of Pharmaceutical and Medical Device Sales and Marketing Practices|
|LAW 791S||Regulating Patient Safety|
|LAW 792S||Food and Drug Law|
|LAW 872S||Heath Law Legal Research|
|LSTU 502S||Ethics and Professional Standards|
|LSTU 504S||Heath Care Regulations|
|LSTU 505S||Health Care Safety and Risk Management|
|LSTU 506S||HIPAA Patients and Privacy|
|LSTU 515S||Information Privacy Law|
*Foreign-trained students may also be required to complete LSTU 503S Legal Research and Analysis and/or LSTU 500S Introduction to the Legal System.
- A Juris Doctor (JD) from an American Bar Association (ABA) accredited law school
With multiple ways to submit documents, Drexel makes it easy to complete your application. Learn more by visiting our Completing Your Application Guide.
- A completed application
- Official transcripts from all universities or colleges and other post-secondary educational institutions (including trade schools) attended
- Two letters of recommendation (professional or academic)
- Letters should speak to your performance and accomplishments, and attest to your ability to succeed within the program
- Essay of approximately 500 words
- Can be a personal statement outlining personal and/or professional goals you hope to achieve through the program, or on another topic that showcases your writing skills
- Quality and quantity of professional experience will be evaluated
- Standardized test score reports (GMAT, GRE, LSAT, MCAT) can be submitted, but are not required
- Additional requirements for International Students
- International students must have an earned Bachelor of Laws (LLB) or its equivalent. Admissions will be based on grades from prior institutions. No entry exam is required, however, those who have completed their first law degree program in a language other than English will be required to have a minimum score on the TOEFL or a comparable exam.
The tuition rate for the academic year 2018-2019 is $1215 per credit.
- This program is eligible for Financial Aid.
- Special tuition rates available for Drexel University Alumni, Military members, and members of our Partner Organizations
- These rates apply only to new online students and students being readmitted.
- Tuition rates are subject to increase with the start of each academic year in the fall term.
- All students must contact applyDUonline@drexel.edu within the first two weeks of the term to request tuition savings for which they qualify.
- Special rates cannot be combined. If you qualify for more than one special rate, you'll be given the one with the largest savings.
- When receiving special tuition plans with Drexel University Online, you may not combine them with other tuition benefits that may be available from Drexel University.
2018-2019 Academic Year
August 20, 2018
December 13, 2018
January 7, 2019
May 3, 2019
May 20, 2019
August 2, 2019