Master of Legal Studies
The Online Master of Legal Studies offered by Drexel’s Thomas R. Kline School of Law provides professionals seeking advanced legal knowledge with an in-depth, specialized study of the legal system. This post-baccalaureate degree program is designed to develop and improve your career related skills.
Ideal candidates include those in health care, college sports, finance, law enforcement, employment relations, and more. Upon completion of the program, you will understand how the law applies to the field in which you work.
You may complete a general Master of Legal Studies or choose a concentration in one or two of the following areas:
- Criminal Law - Applicable in fields such as law enforcement, probation and parole, corrections, social work, immigration and customs and the military. Graduate Certificate also available.
- Cybersecurity and Information Privacy Compliance - Provides a comprehensive deep-dive into the regulations businesses confront on a daily basis, along with the strategies needed to navigate them. For both technical and non-technical professionals. Graduate Certificate is also available.
- Entrepreneurship and Law - Provides a great understanding of new business through the lens of the law, focusing on compliance and how to keep up-to-date on the latest rules and policies.
- Financial Regulatory Compliance - Focuses on financial regulatory structure and extensive compliance requirements, preparing you for in-demand positions in both large and small financial institutions. Graduate Certificate is also available.
- Health Care Compliance - Provides those working in the health care industry with the tools to ensure that state and federal regulatory requirements are being met. Graduate Certificate also available.
- Higher Education Compliance - Provides in-depth study of crucial issues in higher education rules and regulations such as FERPA, Financial Aid, Campus Safety, Risk Management, and more. Graduate Certificate also available.
- Human Resources Compliance - Provides in-depth study of crucial issues in human resources rules and regulations such as employee hiring and termination, managing the employer/employee relationship and negotiation, mediation and alternative dispute resolution. Graduate Certificate also available.
- NCAA Compliance and Sports Law - Provides the tools to ensure that collegiate athletics programs comply with NCAA requirements, and focuses on topics such as recruitment, investigations, avoiding sanctions, and compliance enforcement. Graduate Certificate also available.
Online Open House
Join us on Tuesday, March 6th from 7 - 8 p.m. EST to learn more about our Legal Studies programs and have your questions answered by a Drexel representative. Register Today!
Key Program Features
- Courses taught by the Kline School of Law faculty
- Coursework and study concentrations malleable to your professional experience
- Completion of a Capstone Project
- Program can be completed on either a part-time or full-time basis
- 30 semester credits required for graduation
- Special tuition plans for employees and members of partner organizations
The Thomas R. Kline School of Law Master of Legal Studies – Health Care Compliance Specialization and Graduate Certificate in Health Care Compliance programs are accredited by the Compliance Certification Board (CCB)®. Many employers are now requiring CCB certification for compliance related positions. The CCB offers certification in the following areas:
- Certified in Healthcare Compliance (CHC)®
- Certified in Healthcare Research Compliance (CHRC)®
- Certified in Healthcare Privacy Compliance (CHPC)®
- Certified Compliance and Ethics Professional (CCEP)®
- Certified Compliance and Ethics Professional International (CCEP-I)®
CCB Exam Eligibility: Completion of Drexel’s Master of Legal Studies or Graduate Certificate in Health Care Compliance programs with a GPA of 3.0 or higher fulfills the professional work experience and continuing education units (CEU) requirements within applicable eligibility time frames per candidate handbook, allowing you to be eligible to sit for a CCB exam. Learn more about the CCB.
Interested in applying as a non-matriculated student? Select Graduate School of Law Non-Matriculated as your program of interest on the online application. Official transcripts and a resume are required. Non-matriculated students are not eligible for financial aid.
Learn more about our distinguished faculty as they share thoughts on both the Cybersecurity and Information Privacy Compliance concentration and the industry as a whole.
|Required Core Curriculum Courses|
|LSTU 500S||Introduction to the Legal System||3.0|
|LSTU 501S||Compliance Skills: Auditing, Investigation & Reporting||3.0|
|LSTU 502S||Ethics and Professional Standards||3.0|
|LSTU 503S||Legal Research and Analysis||3.0|
|LSTU 507S||Risk Assessment and Management||3.0|
|LSTU 540S||MLS Masters Capstone||3.0 - 4.0|
|Electives or Concentration|
|Complete LSTU/LAW electives or any combination of electives & concentrations||11.0 - 12.0|
|Criminal Law Concentration|
|LAW 558S||Criminal Law||3.0|
|LAW 670S||Criminal Procedure: Investigations||3.0|
|LSTU 530S||Corrections Law||3.0|
|Cybersecurity and Information Privacy Concentration|
|LSTU 515S||Information Privacy Law||3.0|
|LSTU 516S||The Law of Cybersecurity and Data Protection||3.0|
|LAW 769S||Legal Strategies in Cybersecurity and Information Privacy Compliance||3.0|
|Entrepreneurship and Law Concentration|
|ENTP 501||Entrepreneurship Essentials*||3.0|
|ENTP 535||Social Entrepreneurship*||3.0|
|ENTP 540||Methods of Entrepreneurship*||3.0|
|ENTP 641||Innovation in Established Companies*||3.0|
|*||ENTP courses are on the Quarter Schedule. 3 quarter credits = 2 semester credits; therefore, 12 quarter credits = 8 semester credits.|
|Financial Regulatory Compliance Concentration|
|LAW 700S||Business Organizations||3.0|
|Choose three of the following courses:|
|LAW 734S||Legal Regulation of Investment Advisers||9.0|
|LAW 735S||Legal Regulation of Investment Companies|
|LAW 736S||Broker/Dealer Regulation|
|LAW 737S||Banking Law|
|Health Care Compliance Concentration|
|LSTU 504S||Health Care Rules and Regulations||3.0|
|LSTU 505S||Health Care Quality, Patient Safety and Risk Management||3.0|
|LSTU 506S||Patients and Privacy: HIPAA and Related Regulations||3.0|
|Higher Education Compliance Concentration|
|LSED 532S||Legal Landscape of Student Rights and Campus Safety||3.0|
|LSED 533S||Institutional Compliance: Aid and Accreditation||3.0|
|LSED 534S||Higher Education Institutions: Financial Rules and Regulations||3.0|
|Human Resources Compliance Concentration|
|LSTU 520S||Legal Issues in Employee Hiring and Termination||3.0|
|LSTU 521S||Human Resources Compliance: Managing the Employer/Employee Relationship||3.0|
|LSTU 522S||Human Resources in Practice: Negotiation, Mediation, and Alternative Dispute Resolution||3.0|
|NCAA Compliance and Sports Law Concentration|
|LSTU 510S||NCAA Governance Process||3.0|
|LSTU 511S||NCAA Rules I and Infractions Cases||3.0|
|LSTU 512S||NCAA Rules II and Enforcement Process||3.0|
- A bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution
With multiple ways to submit documents, Drexel makes it easy to complete your application. Learn more by visiting our Completing Your Application Guide.
- A completed application
- Official transcripts from all universities or colleges and other post-secondary educational institutions (including trade schools) attended
letters of recommendation (professional or academic)
- Letters should speak to your performance and accomplishments, and attest to your ability to succeed within the program
- Essay of approximately 500 words
- Can be a personal statement outlining personal and/or professional goals you hope to achieve through the program, or on another topic that showcases your writing skills
- Quality and quantity of professional experience will be evaluated
- Standardized test score reports (GMAT, GRE, LSAT, MCAT) can be submitted, but are not required
- Additional requirements for International Students
The tuition rate for the academic year 2017-2018 is $1200 per credit.
- This program is eligible for Financial Aid.
- Special tuition rates available for Drexel University Alumni, Military members, and members of our Partner Organizations.
- These rates apply only to new online students and students being readmitted.
- All students must contact applyDUonline@drexel.edu within the first two weeks of the term to request tuition savings for which they qualify.
- Special rates cannot be combined. If you qualify for more than one special rate, you'll be given the one with the largest savings.
- When receiving special tuition plans with Drexel University Online, you may not combine them with other tuition benefits that may be available from Drexel University.
2017-2018 Academic Year
August 21, 2017
December 14, 2017
January 8, 2018
May 4, 2018
May 21, 2018
August 3, 2018