Graduate Intern Teaching Certification – Grades PreK-4 Education
The accredited online Graduate PA Intern Teaching Certification is an accelerated path for those who already hold a bachelor's degree and wish to begin teaching elementary education (PreK-4) in Pennsylvania in as few as 9 to 16 months. After the initial requirements for PA Instructional I Certification are met, you can begin teaching while completing the remainder of the courses and field experiences. This program is also ideal for those who are already in a teaching position, but not yet certified.
Those wishing to teach outside of Pennsylvania are not eligible for this program, and should apply instead to the Post-Bachelor’s Teaching Certificate.
- A flexible, completely online program that fits easily into your busy work and personal schedule. The only face-to-face requirements are the various field experiences and student teaching, conveniently arranged in an appropriate school in your area.
- Drexel University is proud to be a partner of the T.E.A.C.H. Early Childhood® PENNSYLVANIA Scholarship Program
- Named one of “America’s Best Graduate Schools” preparing today’s educators by U.S. News & World Report
- Drexel’s teacher education programs are approved by the Pennsylvania Department of Education
- A highly interactive online learning method and small class sizes allow extensive interaction with faculty and other classmates
State restrictions may apply to some programs.
This program is organized into four 10-week quarters per year (as opposed to the traditional two semester system) which means you can take more courses in a shorter time period. One semester credit is equivalent to 1.5 quarter credits.
|Early Childhood/Elementary (PreK-4) Certification|
|EDEX 542||Fundamentals of Special Education||3.0|
|EDEX 544||The Inclusive Classroom (Field Experience required)||3.0|
|EDEX 546||Literacy and Content Skill Development PreK-8 (Field Experience required)||3.0|
|EDUC 506||Assessment of Young Learners||3.0|
|EDUC 513||Elementary Science Teaching Methods||3.0|
|EDUC 520||Professional Studies in Instruction||3.0|
|EDUC 521||Typical and Atypical Development in Early Childhood Education (Field Experience required)||3.0|
|EDUC 525||Multi-Media Instructional Design||3.0|
|EDUC 529||Early Literacy (Field Experience required)||3.0|
|EDUC 539||Expressive Arts||3.0|
|EDUC 540||Field Experience (12-week full-time Student Teaching)||3.0|
|EDUC 555||Social Studies Teaching Methods||3.0|
|EDUC 565||Foundations in Instructing English Language Learners (Field Experience required)||3.0|
|MTED 517||Mathematics Methods and Content (PreK-4) (Field Experience required)||3.0|
- A bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution with a GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Students pursuing teacher certification must meet the PA State content course requirements for their specific area of certification. Content course reviews are conducted at time of application. Coursework missing from a student's undergraduate background or below the minimum 3.0 GPA cumulative average may be taken concurrently with the graduate program.
With multiple ways to submit documents, Drexel makes it easy to complete your application. Learn more by visiting our Completing Your Application Guide.
- A completed application
- Official transcripts from all universities or colleges and other post-secondary educational institutions (including trade schools) attended
- Two letters of recommendation (professional or academic)
- An essay describing why you're interested in pursuing graduate study in this field and stating your intended area of certification (e.g. secondary certification in mathematics)
- Additional requirements for International Students
The tuition rate for the academic year 2017-2018 is $921 per credit. (A 25% tuition savings off Drexel's regular tuition rate of $1228 per credit)
- This program is not eligible for Financial Aid.
- Special tuition rates available for Drexel University Alumni, Military members, and members of our Partner Organizations.
- These rates apply only to new online students and students being readmitted.
- All students must contact applyDUonline@drexel.edu within the first two weeks of the term to request tuition savings for which they qualify.
- Special rates cannot be combined. If you qualify for more than one special rate, you'll be given the one with the largest savings.
- When receiving special tuition plans with Drexel University Online, you may not combine them with other tuition benefits that may be available from Drexel University.
There are four types of field experiences in K-12 classrooms required for certification embedded throughout the program:
- Observing: (EDEX 542, 544, 546, EDUC 520, 565, Methods)
- Participating & Assisting: (EDEX 542, 544, 546, EDUC 520, 565, Methods)
- Pre-Student Teaching: (2 weeks Up to 40 hours connected to Methods course prior to student teaching)
- Graduate Student Teaching: (Capstone Experience 12 weeks)
The Pennsylvania Department of Education requires approximately 130 hours of field experiences in addition to Graduate Student Teaching. Up to 40 hours of field experiences (except student teaching) may be transferred in from previous PK-12 school-based experiences.
You should not take it upon yourself to arrange any field experience on your own, however, you can list your desired school district on all field placement applications. Once you submit all required clearances (PA requires FBI, Child Abuse, Criminal History, and TB) and the appropriate Observation or Field Placement Application (listing a preferred district), a Field Experience Coordinator from Drexel's School of Education's Field Placement Office (FPO) will make every effort to arrange a school-based, appropriate field placement related to your area of certification in a location reasonably close to where you live or work, providing that the requested school meets PA State requirements. The FPO must receive a confirmation for all field experiences from the School District's Field Placement office prior to allowing students to enter into any school classroom.
For Graduate Student Teaching, you're required to spend a total 12 weeks, full-time, under the supervision of a certified cooperating teacher and university supervisor. At a minimum, 6 of the 12 weeks of student teaching must be located within a public or charter school. Once Drexel's FPO locates an acceptable site, you'll work with the school's principal, university supervisor, and certified cooperating teacher regarding meeting the course's objectives/goals. You'll videotape yourself teaching and periodically send tapes to the Field Experience Coordinator for evaluation. In addition, you'll be required to complete the required hours of regular in-class observations and fieldwork in most core Pedagogy courses.
Drexel students are also able to complete student teaching at Department of Defense Dependant Schools (DoDDS.)
You must submit the required clearances to enter into PreK-12 schools in PA, another state, or an international school. Since the process of obtaining clearances can take up to 8 weeks, you're encouraged to begin the process within the first term at Drexel.
PA requires that pre-service teachers must submit copies of all required clearances (FBI, PA Child Abuse, and PA Criminal Background) to the FPO by the second week of the first term. In addition, some school districts will require that you obtain the TB Skin test. You should retain all original copies and present them to the schools during all field experiences as well as fax them to the FPO at 215-571-4270.
- Clearances (Out of State)
For applicants not living in PA, please contact your State’s Department of Education or local School District to determine which clearances will be required in your state/school district to enter classrooms for all types of field experiences. Once obtained, follow the instructions above to submit them to Drexel’s School of Education.
- Clearances (International)
For applicants living overseas or planning to complete field experiences in an approved International or DoDDS school please obtain FBI and Criminal History background checks at the very least. Also please indicate your intentions within your application essay and contact the School of Education for more information regarding International Field Experiences at 215-895-6770.
If you wish to complete the field experience requirement outside of the United States, you must contact the School of Education's Field Placement Office to be aware of the international deadline and procedures to submit your field placement application. All field experiences must be completed in a U.S. accredited school, or an approved international school whereby English is the language spoken in all classrooms, and the school is following PA Department of Education and US Department of Education guidelines. You should not choose field placements which include working with students with special needs or students whose first language is not English.
Typically students living overseas student teach in a U.S. affiliated school, such as on an Army base, under the guidance of a U.S. fully certified teacher at the grade level and subject appropriate for the intended area of certification. The cooperating teacher needs to be certified in the U.S. with a minimum of 3 years teaching experience in the area of certification being pursued. All international field placments will be arranged by the School of Education's Field Placement Coordinator.
- All PA certification candidates living overseas must submit the original PDE required Health form signed by a US Licensed Physician or US Licensed Physician's Assistant prior to completing the TIMS certification application.
- PreK-4 students can only take the PECT exams in the USA, Canada, Puerto Rico or Virgin Islands.
Any student (US Citizen or otherwise) living overseas or planning to move overseas should contact their advisor to discuss their situation prior to enrolling in the program or completing courses and certification requirements.
2017-2018 Academic Year
September 25, 2017
December 9, 2017
December 11, 2017
December 16, 2017
January 8, 2018
March 17, 2018
March 19, 2018
March 24, 2018
April 2, 2018
June 9, 2018
June 11, 2018
June 15, 2018
June 25, 2018
September 1, 2018
September 4, 2018
September 8, 2018
2018-2019 Academic Year
September 24, 2018
December 8, 2018
December 10, 2018
December 15, 2018
January 7, 2019
March 16, 2019
March 18, 2019
March 23, 2019
April 1, 2019
June 8, 2019
June 10, 2019
June 14, 2019
June 24, 2019
August 31, 2019
September 3, 2019
September 7, 2019